Music and TV Shows Separate Folders iTunes?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Suraj R., Jul 6, 2013.

1. Suraj R. macrumors regular

Hey, so I was wondering if there's a way to set up my iTunes media folder (Mac of course) up so that the Music could stay on my MacBook Air 13"'s internal drive and the TV Shows, Apps and Movies could all stay on my external USB 3 3TB WD 1150 Media Drive.

I want this because my brand new MBA only has 128 gigs of internal storage, and until I get a MicroSD card I don't have enough space to keep all of the TV Shows I want on my iPad permanently on my hard drive. I put the TV Shows that I want in my iTunes folder, sync my iPad but then have to delete them from my Mac and keep them on my external HD. But then the next time I plug in my iPad, those TV Shows are lost (#iTunesproblems :mad: )

Anyone know a way? Thanks, it'd really help me out.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can easily have iTunes content stored in multiple folders or even multiple drives:

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

You might also want to take a look at Plex for movies and TV shows. You can store your videos on your computer at home and access them via the web from anywhere, without having to permanently store them on your MBA or iPad.