Music App Controls without App?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by tintifax3k, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tintifax3k macrumors member

tintifax3k

Hi,

i am wondering if i can get music controls on the watch without the app having a proper watch pendant. ie. google music or downcast (podcatcher) like on the phone when swiping up to the control center...

thanks for the info.

2. simonx314 macrumors regular

I just tried Google Music and NPR News iPhone apps. My Apple Watch Music glance was able to pause/play both iPhone apps. It even listed the name of the song/station at the top of the glance. Nice.

3. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Yep, the controls work just like on your iPhone lockscreen or control center. There's a music control glance that will control any audio currently playing on your phone.

4. conifer macrumors member

What about your personal music files you store in the cloud and can play on your phone--lets say from amazon cloud or onedrive or dropbox or box.com? Can you somehow control the start and stop on your phone from the watch? Or would you have to download the songs to your phone and then sync to watch via playlist?

5. J.C macrumors 6502

If it's an app that has playback controls on the iPhone home screen or Control Centre then the same controls are available on the watch. So, yep.

----------

To clarify, you have to initiate playback on the phone but once it's going you can play/pause, advance etc with the watch.