Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
That small circle in the upper left corner doesn't stop. What can I do?
ygu3ahyd.jpg

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
That small circle in the upper left corner doesn't stop. What can I do?Image

Have you confirmed it is actually using data or are you basing this on the "loading please wait" pinwheel you circled in the status bar?

1. if you close the music app does the pinwheel go away?
2. Have you tried restarting the phone to see if continues to do that?
3. Is your music app downloading songs that you purchased?

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Have you confirmed it is actually using data or are you basing this on the "loading please wait" pinwheel you circled in the status bar?

1. if you close the music app does the pinwheel go away?

2. Have you tried restarting the phone to see if continues to do that?

3. Is your music app downloading songs that you purchased?

1 Yes
2 No
3 No

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Music app is continuously using data or wifi

I'm still waiting on you to see if you restarted your phone yet. :)

Ok, I just restarted the iPhone and it appears to be fixed, thank you for the suggestion mate.

Last edited:

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
but the question remains...why should we have to restart our phone to solve the problem? I thought the whole point of ios was to discourage killing apps and rebooting your device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
but the question remains...why should we have to restart our phone to solve the problem? I thought the whole point of ios was to discourage killing apps and rebooting your device.
To resolve a potential issue like an app or a process getting stuck or something like that. Designed or not these are computers and every once in a whole something weird can happen and to clear it out closing an app or two might be needed or just restarting it all might be necessary (in some more extreme circumstances even resetting settings or reinstalling/restoring even).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

First off,

To assume you never have to reboot your device is absurd.

Sure, iOS can run for months and months without a restart but some quirky behavior can easily be resolved with a reboot. Nowhere does Apple discourage people from restarting their devices.

Secondly, the "close" feature in task switcher is there specifically to resolve issues with apps hanging or misbehaving by letting you manually kill a task.

You can thank Windows and Android operating systems for brainwashing people into the practice of closing apps all the time.

It has been a year since I have been on Mac OSX and I still have to fight the urge to close apps do to my prior brainwashing of using Windows for years.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
First off,

To assume you never have to reboot your device is absurd.

Sure, iOS can run for months and months without a restart but some quirky behavior can easily be resolved with a reboot. Nowhere does Apple discourage people from restarting their devices.

Secondly, the "close" feature in task switcher is there specifically to resolve issues with apps hanging or misbehaving by letting you manually kill a task.

You can thank Windows and Android operating systems for brainwashing people into the practice of closing apps all the time.

It has been a year since I have been on Mac OSX and I still have to fight the urge to close apps do to my prior brainwashing of using Windows for years.

I don't know about that. It wasn't until ICS in Android before closing an app was a native operation. You'd have to download a task killing app (which google dev recommended against) to close apps. Aka Apple had the ability since the advent of there multitasking tray. Didn't they beat out windows too in that function too?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't know about that. It wasn't until ICS in Android before closing an app was a native operation. You'd have to download a task killing app (which google dev recommended against) to close apps. Aka Apple had the ability since the advent of there multitasking tray. Didn't they beat out windows too in that function too?

Before iOS 4.0:

- In order to switch between apps you had to press the home button and press the icon of the other app you wanted to switch to and repeat the process.
- You could not close an app. The only option was to hold the home button down while in an app to "force close" it (which most people did not know about)

After iOS 4.0:

- You could use the newly introduced task-switcher to switch between apps.
- You couse use the task-switcher to close an app of your choice.

IF Apple intended for "closings apps" to be part of the daily practice of an iphone user:

Why isn't there a close all button in the task-switcher?

How is that there were no major complaints from iPhone, iPhone 3G and 3GS users about performance considering they did not have a app closing feature in their version of iOS?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Before iOS 4.0:

- In order to switch between apps you had to press the home button and press the icon of the other app you wanted to switch to and repeat the process.
- You could not close an app. The only option was to hold the home button down while in an app to "force close" it (which most people did not know about)

After iOS 4.0:

- You could use the newly introduced task-switcher to switch between apps.
- You couse use the task-switcher to close an app of your choice.

IF Apple intended for "closings apps" to be part of the daily practice of an iphone user:

Why isn't there a close all button in the task-switcher?

How is that there were no major complaints from iPhone, iPhone 3G and 3GS users about performance considering they did not have a app closing feature in their version of iOS?

if you jailbreak your phone you can clearly see using SBSettings the more apps you have open the more RAM is utilized and eventually the phone runs more sluggish/forced app closes etc....

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
if you jailbreak your phone you can clearly see using SBSettings the more apps you have open the more RAM is utilized and eventually the phone runs more sluggish/forced app closes etc....

Bad example friend. There is no way you can compare the performance of a jailbroken iPhone to that of a factory one. everyone knows Jailbroken iPhones get slower and slower over time because of all the tweaks/apps that have been installed and removed and apps like Winterboard slow it down as well.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Bad example friend. There is no way you can compare the performance of a jailbroken iPhone to that of a factory one. everyone knows Jailbroken iPhones get slower and slower over time because of all the tweaks/apps that have been installed and removed and apps like Winterboard slow it down as well.

Actually he's right, I tried this once: on my iphone 4 with 6.1.3 non-jailbroken, I didn't kill any apps for 2 days and in the multitasking tray there were over 16 apps like contacts, yahoo sports, tweetbot, settings messages and so on, and my iphone 4 became really slow and sluggish. After I killed all of the apps the iphone became fast again.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Actually he's right, I tried this once: on my iphone 4 with 6.1.3 non-jailbroken, I didn't kill any apps for 2 days and in the multitasking tray there were over 16 apps like contacts, yahoo sports, tweetbot, settings messages and so on, and my iphone 4 became really slow and sluggish. After I killed all of the apps the iphone became fast again.

You may want to read this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

Especially this part "Some apps can continue to run for a short period of time and are then set to a suspended state so they are not actively in use, open, or taking up system resources" Which basically states those 16 apps you think are "running" are not.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
You may want to read this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

Especially this part "Some apps can continue to run for a short period of time and are then set to a suspended state so they are not actively in use, open, or taking up system resources" Which basically states those 16 apps you think are "running" are not.

Yes I know this, I am just saying what I've experienced, after 12 hours of not using the iphone (I was sleeping actually) the opening and closing animation of the apps was laggy.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI

Except back when I did jailbreak I barely used any of those tweaks at all, and I definitely did NOT use winterboard

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Except back when I did jailbreak I barely used any of those tweaks at all, and I definitely did NOT use winterboard

At this point I don't know what we're arguing about. Closing apps? If so, I DONT close apps and I DONT have sluggish behavior on my iPhone 5 and my battery goes easily for 10-12 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.