iPhone Music App - Manually Adding Music To iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by tylerpenn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. tylerpenn macrumors newbie

Running Catalina and iOS 13 on my iPhone XS
    I have always used the "Manually manage music and videos" setting and have confirmed it is still checked for my iPhone when I view its details in Finder
    The issue is that I can't seem to manage the music on my iPhone.

Has anyone been able to successfully add/remove music from their iPhone library via Catalina?

2. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

This is the same issue I have, but for tv and film. I’ve had to do it via the screens on Finder, Using the tick boxes. It’s a pain in the rear, but it’s the only way for now. Looks like mainly dragging and dropping in Apple Music, Apple TV, podcast is no longer working.

3. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

The sync to iPhone is broken in Catalina beta.

4. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

Not for me. Though you’ve not been specific as to what you mean.
    I”ve synced tv, films, and moved PDF’s, word docs and excel docs over fine from Catalina via Finder p, once I worked out how.

5. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

When I try to sync my songs over, Clicking "Sync" immediately pops up "The iPhone 'iPhone XS Max' could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish." I have tried everything.

6. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Same issue here. Drag and drop doesn’t work, sync doesn’t work, nothing seems to work. Gotta wait for the next beta to sync stuff I guess :/. Thank God for Spotify.

7. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

I had that yesterday, after my 16GB 6S ran out of memory. I know that syncing to the laptop should delete logs and diagnostics files etc so that's what I attempted. It kept failing.

So I did a backup to the computer (also done in the Finder) and then the sync worked. As an aside, I got over 1GB back.

8. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

Weird, sync's working for me for music, tv and films. Have you restarted all devices?

9. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Many times.

10. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

Is it only music that you're having issues with? Movies/TV shows ok?

11. Mr Todhunter macrumors regular

Mr Todhunter

Not possible to manually manage ANY media files with the new apps. I installed iTunes 12.6.5.3. Or you can install iTunes 12.8.2 if you prefer.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2019 ---
    If you want to install iTunes

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/

12. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

You can manually manage TV/Movies/Music via Finder, but it's fiddly. It just means clicking the tickboxes for what you want, then clicking on Apply.

Screenshot 2019-06-09 at 18.08.41.png

13. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I haven’t tried those because I haven’t ever used the TV app. I’ve opened it to look at it but never tried syncing my device with it. I don’t have any TV shows or movies purchased or downloaded.

14. Mr Todhunter macrumors regular

Mr Todhunter

Are you sure? I see the sync button is checked. Syncing is not manual transfer. Manual transfer is drag and drop.

15. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

It's manual, in the sense that I tick the boxes of anything new I want to add, and then click Sync, it's just as quick, and will work for now. It's not doing anything auto syncing of anything else, as I've not ticked the 'automatically include' both.

16. tylerpenn thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't that automatically wipe whatever is already on your phone in this case?

I'm going under the assumption that manually managing files/music/movies/tv/books will still be a thing but it is simply broken with these initial betas and will hopefully be back in place for subsequent builds.

17. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

Yea, but then I only had a few things on, which went back on as part of this. It works for me, for now, and if it's permanently this way, I'm ahead of the game.

18. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

And nowhere does the iPhone show up in the new Music App (I dont have the beta at all)? I also manually manage my music currently, do not use Sync at all. I drag and drop on the music side of iTunes, not inside the backup screen of iTunes.

19. Ansath macrumors regular

Ansath

For the time being, be it due to a bug or not, it looks like we will have to do it via the Sync option in Finder, no drag & drop.