Music app stars coming back in final iOS 7 version

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Aucun Express, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Do you think the songs rating will come back in final version?

1. I think it will come back in final version.

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. I think Jony Ive removed it on purpose.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

In beta 1 and beta 2 of iOS 7, it is no longer possible to modify or even see the ratings of the songs in the music app. There are no stars anymore.
    Do you think it will come back in the final iOS 7 version? The problem being that if there is a bug in the betas, all ratings could be messed up? Or do you think it's a new case of Jony Ive oversimplifying things?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think he removed it on purpose, I think it was more a case of just forgot about it / didn't think about it, That said, I don't think it's coming back, because adding that code at this point is too complicated.

3. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I think it was removed on purpose. Where would it go? in the new music app...

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's probably missing til they decide how they want to integrate into UI.

Seems to critical for the iTunes system to leave out for good. Will see.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

People actually used that? I always thought it was kind of unneeded. Like, If you rate a song a 2 or a 1, why even keep it in your library?

6. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Part of an album, collection, b-side, a visual indicator that a track had been listened to.. Loads of reasons.

7. iCole macrumors regular

1-2 stars ok song for occasions, 3 good song, 4 really great song, 5 stars awesome masterpiece. 1 or 2 stars shouldn't necessarily be bad songs :)

I use the stars and want them back, but I won't cry if they don't.

8. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

I surely do! When I want to listen to amazing songs, I pick my 5 stars playlist. 4 stars are for great songs; 3 stars for good ones; 2 stars songs are like "meh, why not, or maybe I need to listen to those more to make sure I want to keep those or not". And 1 star is for the songs I want to delete afterwards from iTunes.

Since the star rating system is available on iPod nano, it would be strange if it wouldn't be available on such large screens as the ones from the iPhone or iPod touch and of course the iPad.

But if Apple has done some research and saw that most iOS users are not using the stars, I would then understand why they deleted those.
    Or, as mentioned, maybe it's just Jony Ive's own personal taste :rolleyes:

9. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Don't be a dick. Stars are the number one way of controlling a massive library. As a base rating I rate all my songs three stars. I keep a list of my favourite songs (4 and 5 stars) and a super favourite songs (five stars only). Songs I want to hear less I rate two stars, songs I might get rid of in the future or songs I only keep because of my wife or for cheesy parties I rate one or two stars.

For the record, my favourite smart playlist contains 5594 songs, and my super favourite smart playlist contains 2045 songs. This is out of a total library of 55671 songs. So you can see how manual ratings make a profound impact on managing.and.enjoying a substantial music library.

10. nomik2 macrumors regular

5 stars is a bit too many for rating a song. I either love or like songs in my library and don't keep/sync songs that I hate.

Zune (of all things :rolleyes:) did this a lot better, where they had a 'heart' or 'half a heart' system for rating songs.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm not being a dick. I honestly thought that was redundant feature because of playlists.

But why not a playlist?

iTunes already has features integrated for that.

I'm not saying "good riddance", I just never saw the use of star ratings in iTunes is all.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Playlists, specifically smart playlists, is exactly where ratings are most useful. You can make smart playlists like "5 star songs I haven't listened to in the last month."

Sure, you can make a "5 star playlist" then make a smart playlist for "songs in the 5 star playlist that I haven't listened to in the last month," but that doesn't update on your mobile device. Whereas ratings based playlists do.

13. bobby68 macrumors member

Ratings are back in Beta 3.
    Tap the album art in "Now playing" and the Stars appear under it.

14. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Was about to post that :)

Tap the song list to display song names and there is a rating hotspot top left. Click that and you can rate the currently playing song too

15. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

That ends the poll! It's there now :)
    Thanks for your messages.

16. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I just saw that you can now rate the songs from two different locations:
    - When playing a song, click on the list of songs, then Rating.
    - Much easier, simply tap the album art or the song name. EXCELLENT AND APPLE STYLE! ;)

17. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Ahh I thought the album art rated the album, and the some rated the actual song. I never use it anyway, so did not pick they were the same.

18. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Bingo. If you haven't used ratings with smart playlists you haven't used playlists at all. It's incredibly powerful. :cool: