Music Business: iMac or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by No1Roots4Goliat, Jul 19, 2008.

1. No1Roots4Goliat macrumors newbie

Hey all. A friend and I are jump starting a new music label in the coming weeks and were looking into purchasing a new Mac to finish off the label's first artist's debut album.

Initially, we were very interested in a maxed-out specs iMac, but upon further research, I realized the mac pro has a quad core processor. I already own Logic Pro Studio as well as Pro Tools, so software isn't necessarily a question in the buying processor as far as pre-installation is concerned.

Can anyone here give me a little advice on which would be better bang for the buck (considering a budget of ~$4000 at max [don't mind keyboards & monitors, we got them])? Is there a true performance differential between a dual-core and a quad-core? Thanks all :D

2. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

For what your doing, yes, definitel, in your line of business, a crash or a page out will lose you money, definitely get an absolute "standard" imac, with 8 cores, and you'll be set for a few years, if your staing in this industry.

3. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I would definitely go with the Mac pro. More longevity. Plus, the iMac is pretty much as-is aside from RAM, whereas you can customize the Mac Pro aftermarket (meaning the future).

4. No1Roots4Goliat thread starter macrumors newbie

5. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Honestly, though, paying 4k for either one will get you a pretty sweet rig. The real bonus is the quad-core in the Mac Pro.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mac Pro. Don't mess around. It's your business.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm guessing CharlieKirk actually meant Mac Pro due to the rest of his post. You should be looking at the 2.8GHz Mac Pro, buy 8GB of memory elsewhere and add a large internal or external RAID and you will have a solid system.

8. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

The iMac has tons of power of music and is great as a personal writing rig buuuut....

It's your business, so I would go for the Mac Pro. Even the standard model currently has so much power that it will be good for years. It has proper expansion if you decided to go "more pro" and add truly low latency audio (Pro Tools TDM or Apogee Symphony). It has space for dedicated internal audio drives (if you want a dedicated audio drive on the iMac it will have to be firewire, and will be sharing a bus with any firewire audio interface, since they are all extensions of the same fw800 bus).

I would get the basic config, then add a chunk of memory and an extra drive (which you can get much cheaper than from Apple), plus AppleCare (it's your business!) and not forgetting one or two big firewire drives for regular backups.

9. muldul macrumors 6502

I would say mac pro if you have all of the monitors and keyboards as you can get the most for your money and it is very future proof, more so than the iMac

10. No1Roots4Goliat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet. Thank you all.

A few more questions...

Exactly where could I find the RAM to upgrade on the MP, as well as hard drives (for the hard drive bays), etc. etc.?

And how hard is adding this stuff on? I have a MB (Mid-2007 edition) and found adding RAM is a simple task.

Does adding on myself break the AppleCare protection?

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The iMac is quite capable but I must agree with most of the posts, if it's your business then go for the Mac Pro .. :)

12. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure they're differing since an iMac CANNOT have 8 cores. I think the poster mistyped.

Another vote for Mac Pro...and I'm a huge iMac fan.

13. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and recommend crucial.com for the ram and newegg.com for the drives. Adding these to a Mac Pro is very easy and does not break the AppleCare contract.

14. No1Roots4Goliat thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. How about graphics cards; can I add them myself too?

15. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

16. weatherman316 macrumors member

I'm going to have to agree with the Mac Pro. I used to do video editing and there is a noticeable difference when using our studios Mac Pro than when I was using a friends iMac.

17. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Yes sorry, I meant mac pro, for sure, time is money, you do NOT want page outs and having artists have to wait while you reboot.

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan