music cleaner

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by overcome, Apr 22, 2011.

1. overcome macrumors newbie

Hello All,
    Now that I have some time on my hands I need to clean up my music collection. I just rebuilt my macbook pro so itunes is empty. All my music is on an external hdd categorized under /genre/artist/album. I have roughly 198gig. I would like to know the most efficient way that I can clean all the id3 tags up before importing the songs into itunes that way my original copy of the music is in order before it hits itunes.

once and for all I would like to get rid of all the "Untitled_track1.mp3, 10040556775_4.mp3 " ....ect

Thanks for your help

2. LAWery macrumors newbie

Ya if you buy a CD from the store or download from itunes. All the information will be correct and songs will be titled accordingly. BUY YOUR MUSIC!!

I wanted this to be my first post.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

If what you have is all MP3, I'd say it's time to re-rip it all to Apple Lossless format. If wil take a long time but in the process the software, (either iTunes or XLD) will query an on-line database and pull down all the information.

I did this a little at a time. I kept stacks of CDs next to the mac and just swapped CDs while I did other stuff. Took many weeks. Now I have boxes of CDs I'll never need to touch again. As "lossless is lossless".

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Not exactly true, especially if you listen to music that's even slightly off the beaten path. Classical albums in particular are often pretty messy if you just let iTunes pull the information from the Gracenote database. If you have a composer, a performing ensemble, a conductor, and (sometimes) a soloist, you'll often find those names randomly strewn about the Artist, Album Artist, Composer, and Comments fields, and that's not even getting into the people who felt the need to put all of that information at the beginning of every blessed track name. Files with 256-character names, anyone? And don't get me started on albums whose track names use non-Roman alphabets.

And this isn't even getting into what happened if he ripped his CDs using an application that doesn't support automatic tag lookup, or on a computer without an internet connection, or has a lot of CDs that aren't in the database. There are plenty of legit reasons why someone's tags would be a mess. Congrats on your first post, but hopefully your second one will be a little less ignorant and self-righteous.

5. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

this is a good time to start from scratch. Yeah it sounds like a lot of work but in the end it'll be worth it. I think I've cleaned my music 3 times ever since I started using iTunes. It gets you aquainted with your music. Everything becomes really easy after a while and after you establish a routine you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed.

Here read my friends article on organizing your music.

www.crossthefader.com

6. ronnydudek macrumors newbie

Music & Speech Cleaner's intuitive step-by-step interface guides you through the cleanup process without slowing you down.Records are cleaned using a mixture of industrial alcohol and distilled water and the surface or grooves are scrubbed with a nylon brush.