Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdam123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
London, England
I've come to realise that having to pull up Control Center, then swiping over to the music controls is really inconvenient. When you just want to quickly pause that song, the process just seems unneccesarily elongated. Anyone else feel the same?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I've come to realise that having to pull up Control Center, then swiping over to the music controls is really inconvenient. When you just want to quickly pause that song, the process just seems unneccesarily elongated. Anyone else feel the same?

Just leave the control center on whichever page you use the most. It stays on that page the next time you swipe up.

Personally, I don't toggle Wifi,airplane mode or the other toggles all the time so I leave mine on the music controls.

Reactions: chabig

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
These smartphones have made people so lazy... but in your defence the new control centre is pretty flawed...

Reactions: IndianBird

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
These smartphones have made people so lazy... but in your defence the new control centre is pretty flawed...

Hardly flawed at all. Old CC was a cluttered mess. Now it's cleaner and more organized. Also creates room for more options in the toggle panel down the road with music out in its own card (which also makes more sense to begin with. Controlling music has nothing to do with toggles)

And as mentioned already. It remembers which card your left it on and opens that one. So if you're listening to music and constantly use CC for controls. It will always open the Music card if you've used it previously.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Attachments

• IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    574.3 KB · Views: 204

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Old one was hardly cluttered...
It was cluttered if you have big fingers. I constantly had inputs, that were unintended, or had to tap multiple times to get the intended results. It's definitely fair for people to not like change. I can't see how anyone could objectively say that CC wasn't cluttered in previous ios's.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Well I have big hands and found it easy to use. I have had more errors with the new one (was worse on beta 1) but instead of scrubbing it would prefer to change cards. Annoying.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Now we have multiple cards that can't be seen at a glance and stupidly huge buttons to fill space.

No, now we have a clearner CC and lazy people complaining over an occasional few mm swipe.
[doublepost=1468441359][/doublepost]
Well I have big hands and found it easy to use. I have had more errors with the new one (was worse on beta 1) but instead of scrubbing it would prefer to change cards. Annoying.

Scrubbers were fixed in beta 2. Carry on.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
No, now we have a clearner CC and lazy people complaining over an occasional few mm swipe.

A swipe in cc is apperantly to much. But on the lock screen it's preferable. Hmm

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013

Well I am on beta 2 and still having issues, and if you read what I wrote before I said its not as bad as beta 1, but it s still there.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Nope, I have the same issue on PB1. Not all the time, but occasionally the scrubber just won't move and the CC page just changes.

As to the original point, I wonder if it would be better if, when audio is playing, the CC defaulted to the music control page.

Defaulting to music pane could work when playing music. It could work like this.

Open music app and hit play
Go to home screen open cc and it opens to music controls
Swipe to toggles and close cc
Open cc and it should go the last view (this case toggles)
Open music app and hit pause and then play
Go to home screen open cc and it opens to music controls again

Always defaulting to music when playing music would be annoying. This way it would be a little bit smarter.

Reactions: nathanalf

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Defaulting to music pane could work when playing music. It could work like this.

Open music app and hit play
Go to home screen open cc and it opens to music controls
Swipe to toggles and close cc
Open cc and it should go the last view (this case toggles)
Open music app and hit pause and then play
Go to home screen open cc and it opens to music controls again

Always defaulting to music when playing music would be annoying. This way it would be a little bit smarter.

With the main music controls also appearing on the lockscreen I guess it is a bit of unnecessary duplication, however if playing audio from a source that maybe doesn't put the artwork etc on the lockscreen it seems a lot of steps to go through to just pause, or route the audio to a different receiver. Just seems more logical to me that if audio is playing then audio controls are the default CC pane and if you want to control your Hue lights (for example) then you have to swipe.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
With the main music controls also appearing on the lockscreen I guess it is a bit of unnecessary duplication, however if playing audio from a source that maybe doesn't put the artwork etc on the lockscreen it seems a lot of steps to go through to just pause, or route the audio to a different receiver. Just seems more logical to me that if audio is playing then audio controls are the default CC pane and if you want to control your Hue lights (for example) then you have to swipe.

The CC will always go to what you previously had open. That's the most logical it can get. If you're listening to music for say the next hour. All you need to do is swipe over to music once at the very beginning and it will always give you music during that hour you need it. It's not like you have to swipe over to music every single time. Unless you're constantly using CC every 2 minutes. But realistically who uses CC that often. Do people really toggle wifi or whatever 30+ times an hour, all day long?

Reactions: Shirasaki

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
The CC will always go to what you previously had open. That's the most logical it can get. If you're listening to music for say the next hour. All you need to do is swipe over to music once at the very beginning and it will always give you music during that hour you need it. It's not like you have to swipe over to music every single time. Unless you're constantly using CC every 2 minutes. But realistically who uses CC that often. Do people really toggle wifi or whatever 30+ times an hour, all day long?

Honestly, the first pane of CC (or what was the ONLY pane until now), I only really use the audio controls and maybe the calculator. I never toggle wifi or BT on/off, rarely need airplane mode unless I've dropped signal and it hasn't come back, Night Shift is on a schedule (I really hope Apple have plans for that pointlessly HUGE button that they're keeping under their hats until later this year), brightness is on auto, Airdrop is always on, and I never use the torch (flashlight) or camera buttons. Obviously everyone's use cases are different but for me then defaulting to audio controls when playing audio (not just Music, but any audio playing) would be a better option. Hey, if we were all the same life would be boring.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think 2 pages is dumb.

It's nice to just swipe up and have all your controls in one place.

Sorry Apple you messed this one up. Hopefully this will be corrected before iOS 10 is released.

Don't count on it changing by the end of beta. It's likely that the change itself is for future ideas down the road (an iOS 10.x update or beyond.) Apple does many things in steps that won't fully make sense until later.
[doublepost=1468445872][/doublepost]
Honestly, the first pane of CC (or what was the ONLY pane until now), I only really use the audio controls and maybe the calculator. I never toggle wifi or BT on/off, rarely need airplane mode unless I've dropped signal and it hasn't come back, Night Shift is on a schedule (I really hope Apple have plans for that pointlessly HUGE button that they're keeping under their hats until later this year), brightness is on auto, Airdrop is always on, and I never use the torch (flashlight) or camera buttons. Obviously everyone's use cases are different but for me then defaulting to audio controls when playing audio (not just Music, but any audio playing) would be a better option. Hey, if we were all the same life would be boring.

If you rarely ever use other toggles and most of the time use it for music. Then why are you complaining? Drop it on the music card and you will always get the music card. I mean seriously. You're making a stink over something by your own admission you will rarely have to deal with.

Reactions: bbfc and Armen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.