Music Controls Shortcut

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Apr 14, 2008.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

This is probably well-known to some (or even many) iPod touch owners, but I accidentally discovered it yesterday and thought I would share.

If, while in a mode that does not have the music controls, you need to:

- see what song is playing
    - fast forward or rewind
    - adjust the volume
    - quickly jump to the songs list

you can double-tap the "Home" button. It brings up a little window over your open windows with the above controls. Comes in very handy while listening to music and using Safari, so you don't have to close what you're looking at to adjust the volume or whatever.

2. HomeingPigeon macrumors regular

Thank you so much. This will be so helpful now.

3. intempo808 macrumors regular

The other really cool thing about that control box, is that it rotates with the screen when you're in an application that allows the rotate function, like Photo's and Safari.

:p

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I thought that this was in the documentation, like the QuickStart guide, not the main one.
    But either way, it's one of the most used functions from my experience ;)

5. manram24 macrumors member

6. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It may be, but I haven't read a user's guide of any kind...pretty much ever.

7. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Or indeed any previous threads...This is a ve-h-ery well known feature on the iPod touch. Please just read a little bit next time. It prevents sarcasm and annoyed responses.

8. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Be cool.

Let's say two new touch users find this forum (we'll call them A and B).

Say A finds a useful function that he didn't know about before. He decides to share with everyone else. Now, he can do a search to find out if it has been discussed with previous members. If he finds that it has, and he decides not to post his find, then B will never know about the trick.

Or A can go ahead and post for the benefit of B. If everyone else already knows about it, so what?

Try to remember that not everyone has been reading and posting here since last September. Let the new guys share with one another and ignore the redundent postings.

BTW, your answer was a bit sarcastic, wasn't it? (This is a ve-h-ery well known feature on the iPod touch. Please just read a little bit next time.)

9. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thanks for the retarded reply that added literally nothing to the thread.

10. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

It was a fair point, let's keep it civilized.
    But yeah, what Davidy said ;)

11. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I wouldn't say it was retarded, by any means. Literally nothing? I disagree entirely.
    I see Davidy's point though. Perhaps I was a little too harsh. I have (clearly wrongly) come to expect that almost everyone on this forum knows about this feature. It really takes no effort to search the forums, find that your findings/idea has been already posted about, and then post in it if you wish to bring it to others attention again.

Any takers?

Oh yes, and, sarcasm?
    The majority of the time I implement it in practically every aspect of my life. In that post however, it was sadly lacking. There was a certain amount of Dr. Cox-ish unnecessary lengthening of words though.

12. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

It takes even less effort to bypass a thread entirely, especially when you have nothing of value to offer; but I guess that's too much to ask from a master of sarcasm and wit.

13. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Come on, sarcasm's something that need's to be honed and practiced ;)
    Anyways, we're getting off topic.

14. MorleyD macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post. Being a new owner, I would not have known to search for this. Perhaps a sticky could be posted for us newbies of all the common/well known "tricks," short cuts, etc.. In any case, I just wanted to say thanks for the info.

15. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Well, I've had my Touch four weeks now, visit this forum at LEAST three times a day, read the PDF USer Guide quite a bit the first week I had the device (even printed out two copies) and this thread is the FIRST I heard of this nice little feature and I look forward to using it.

It's easy to miss some things in the documentation.

Mike

16. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

A master? Oh, you've made me blush...
    Apparently I've made a mistake though. There are several people who were unaware of this feature. I suppose I've got so used to it being there that it astounds me that anyone can get by without it!
    However, to the point.
    I'm not one to be blind and stubborn about these things.
    I was wrong
    That's right I said it!
    A simple case of misinformation based on my own assumptions. My sincerest apologies to you, my dear Ignatius.

I suppose this proves it then. I like the idea of a stick. That could put a stop to the clashing of stubborn skulls.