Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Hi, I am making some home movies of family holidays.

Am I able to use any of my owned music as a background? For example the Indiana Jones theme?

I wouldnt be making any money from it, but would be giving copies of the movie to members of the family.

Thanks

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
Grasbak said:

Am I able to use any of my owned music as a background? For example the Indiana Jones theme?

I wouldnt be making any money from it, but would be giving copies of the movie to members of the family.

Thanks

I Belevie that is ok, if your not selling the movies then there shouldnt be any problems

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Grasbak said:
What they all said ^^
But some definitions.
You don't own any of the music you have purchased. It is owned by the copyright holders, and licensed to you for personal use.

If you want to use it for purposes other than private listening, then you would pay an additional license fee for public performance (nightclub, restaurant, elevator) or for synchronization (TV, film and video). Somewhere or another, there will be a definition of when a video requires sync. license. You would contact the performing rights society that the artist/publisher is signed up with.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Fcp

i don't get why apple lets you import iTunes purchased music into iMovie and it works fine... but doesn't in Final Cut Pro! i know it probably has something to do with FCP being a professional application but that doesn't mean that i'm always using it for professional means.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
octoberdeath said:
i don't get why apple lets you import iTunes purchased music into iMovie and it works fine... but doesn't in Final Cut Pro! i know it probably has something to do with FCP being a professional application but that doesn't mean that i'm always using it for professional means.

I know, especially as DVDSP does allow the use of iTMS tracks.

iMovie comes to the rescue mind you: just pile the iTMS tracks in and export as .aif. (you have to have at least one video clip in now)

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
octoberdeath said:

well, FCP handles .aiff files.... so you need to convert your mp3 or aac files to aiff.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Lebowski said:
well, FCP handles .aiff files.... so you need to convert your mp3 or aac files to aiff.

oh really! well thanks so much... now i don't have to worry about using iMovie or burning a cd and reimporting to get around the system.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lebowski said:
Is there an easy way to do this directly from iTunes if for music downloaded from the iTunes store? I tried to select "Advanced -> Convert Selection to AIFF", but got an error message saying that this wouldn't work for protected music files.

- Martin

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Lebowski said:

To do this you need to burn and rip the files. iTunes won't let you transcode protected songs into an unprotected format.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.