Music copyright troubles. Or not?!

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Metal Dice, May 31, 2010.

1. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

So, as many of you might know, Youtube has a function named audio-swap. This basically let's you replace the original audio in one of you videos, with a song from Youtube's library, however most of the songs aren't popular at all... Anyway, I'm almost done with an application, (game actually,) and it has exactly the same title and pretty much the same story, as the audio-swap song that I'm gonna pick for my Youtube trailer. (I was actually inspired by the song.) My question is, does it matter that my company is promoting an iphone application with their song. My guess is that it shoudn't matter since Youtube has the license. Right? But Youtube never mentioned anything about companies using the audio-swap function. That's why I'm so insecure.
    I really want to use this song, but I don't want to get in any kind of copyright nightmare.
    Any of you guys/girls know something about all this, or at least have something to say about it?

Thanks in advance.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What YouTube (Google) has licensed has nothing to do with you. In order to use a song in your application, either you have to be the copyright owner or have properly licensed the usage of that song from the copyright holder.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Re-read the post. He's using it in a Youtube video, not the application.

OP - You may just have to contact Google directly and ask them. They'll either say 'yes' or 'no.' Since the problem is that you don't feel safe, that's the only way to feel totally safe. Even if someone comes in here and says "go for it," is that really going to make you feel better?