Music Distortion on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jack25, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Jack25 macrumors regular

Jack25

Just been out shopping for new headphones. However, every single pair I tried with my phone became very distorted when I turned up the volume, even the very expensive ones. All my music on my phone is at least 256 kbps. The distortion disappears if I change the EQ settings to Treble Booster, but this obviously means I don't get much bass.

All of the music in my library has volume adjustment set to maximum. Could this be the problem?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Hmm. I guess you need to get used to listen to music in a lower volume.
    And I think, only when the actual volume goes beyond a certain point should you hear distortion. Try to lower the volume to see if distortion still exists.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

What kind of headphone. I bought a SOL and it was distorted, than bought a Boss wireless, and boy what a difference it made for my 6S. And I cranked up the volume as well, no issues

Bose Soundlink 2 copy.png

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You really do not want to max the volume out to max as this is cause distortion.

5. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

Was the new Bose Q35 wireless headphones. I did see an article on The Verge last week with one person having this same issue. Just wasn't sure if it could be avoided at all.

Can the volume adjustment in iTunes cause distortion?

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Sound volume max.....You are asking for ear problems down the road. Mine is not too good, and I did not listen to those that said, stop it, and turn it down. Now it's too late for me.

8. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

Well that answers that... :D

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Hearing at high volume levels can your hearing out. You look young and hate to think that you have damaged your hearing like me. Lost much of mine from unprotected use of firearms when I was younger. What I have left I would like to protect.

10. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

iTunes EQ settings will override any manual adjustments you have made.
    Why on earth would you want to set everything to "maximum" ?
    Most modern music is highly compressed with little dynamic range, setting already "maxed-out" music to MAX in iTunes will cause "digital clipping" (google it) and help to damage your ears even more than plain loud music will, especially so using headphones which concentrate sound waves inside your ear canal vs listening to speakers that dissipate throughout a room.

You seem young, so on the bright side, by the time you'll need them, cochlear implant technology will have evolved to bionic ears to cure deafness.

Seriously, turn down the volume. Leave the iTunes level at 0 for 99.9% of all music.

11. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

In fact, I constantly keep "volume limit" in iOS to the half of maximum, because that volume is the max I can tolerate in a quiet room. When I am outside, I still keep this limit because I can still hear most things in a song.
    Someone told me my limit was even better than EU volume limit. I don't know if this is true. :p

12. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

I think the OP was talking of the "Volume adjust" lever here:
    Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.08.07 PM.png
    This should be left at "None" or 0% gain for most applications.

On the other hand, the regular "Volume" shifter at the top of the iTunes page does not on its own distort the music.
    Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.13.32 PM.png

The setting is relative to what audio amplification you have hooked up to it.
    For example, my Mac Mini is hooked up via optical link to an external amp. In that setting you want Max volume and control volume via the amps volume knob.

The confusion you have is between individual song "Get Info->Options" "Volume adjust" and the general Volume setting in iTunes.

13. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

Thanks for the info. Have changed all of the songs back to None. I changed them all a while back because I do usually listen to all of my music quite loud. would have never done it if I knew it affected the sound quality though. :eek:

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Did it resolve the issue?

15. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

As well as your hearing, which is more important than sound quality.

16. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yeah. I know OP refers to this volume setting in iTunes.

Kinda hard to understand why I am confused in this part because what I talk about is volume limit on iOS devices, not volume settings in desktop iTunes.

17. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Yes, I misread. Good on you for tweaking down the iOS limiter. Your ears will thank you for it in the future.

18. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

Going to try the headphones again when I'm next in town and will update thred.