Music files don't transfer at the same quality as your computer????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsanche6, Mar 11, 2009.

1. jsanche6 macrumors member

Did you guys notice that music files from your computer aren't the same quality as the music on your iPhone or iPod???? I'm listening to a song on my iMac and it has alot more detail than the same song when played on my iPod. I hear more detail on my Imac, do you guys know why that is???:confused:

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

The music files are identical.

The hardware is obviously different, and thus process the sound differently, leading to slightly different sounds.

Two other big variables are the headphones/speakers you are using and the equaliser preset.

If everything else is equal, I actually tend to prefer the warmer sound i get from my iPhone for most music (with IEMs) than from my Mac.

I guess everyone has their own distinct taste though!

:)

//doobi18

3. jsanche6 thread starter macrumors member

Do you think it might be that the iMac has a better headphone jack? because the headphone jack on the iMac is optical/ regular headphone jack. and the iphone jack is just a regular headphone jack.

4. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

are you using the same headphones on each device?

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you're listening to this through different speakers or headphones on the two devices, I swear I'm gonna smack you for such a dumb question.

Otherwise, you could just be hearing things (or trying to hear things like I do sometimes). The iMac's jack should be a higher quality if either one is just because it costs more than an iPhone/iPod, but there probably isn't much difference.

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Could just be a difference between the equilizer settings in your iTunes and the equilizer preset on your phone.

7. pauld macrumors regular

or that "sound enhancer" is cranked up on the iMac.

8. jsanche6 thread starter macrumors member

I'm obviously using the same headphones to test 2 different music players. I'm using some Bose headphones on both my iMac and my iPhone 3G and the quality on the iMac file is much much better than the quality on my iPhone. It's the same file obviously but I think it transfers at a lower quality because it might be compressed.

9. jsanche6 thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah all the conditions are the same equalizer same volume enhancer same everything. Is there anyway to post a song so u guys could see what I'm talking about?

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Must be pretty dumb of you to swear that you're gonna smack someone on the internet. :p