Music folder a mess

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by igator210, Feb 21, 2010.

1. igator210 macrumors newbie

With all the different changes over the years to the way music has been imported and bought, I now find myself with several different music formats in my iTunes music folder. I have AAC, Apple Lossless, MPEG, Protected AAC, and Purchased AAC. I have MP3s and M4As. I don't even want to look at the various bit rates I have.

But, is there anyway to make all the music more uniform? Should I make it more uniform? Can I do this in iTunes or would another program work better.

So far it hasn't been an issue, but I have over 9000 songs on my computer and I really don't want to have to pull out my CDs and reimport stuff. I realize there isn't anything I can do about the bitrate, but was wondering what I should do about the different file types.

This is primarily for me, but I do every so often like to bring an SD memory card to work to listen to my own music without carrying a dozen CDs (manually copying the music to the card). I'm running OS 10.6.2.

Nate

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes can easily handle multiple file types, so it's not a problem if you want to keep them. There are plenty of tools around for converting file types, including iTunes itself. Be aware that some conversions will cause a loss in quality, which may or may not be noticeable or important to you.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Since the file format is pretty invisible to you as the user... and since any conversion will only reduce quality... i would recommend that you just keep it as is.

/Jim

4. igator210 thread starter macrumors newbie