Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I have put together a slide show of my trip to the Tall Ships Festival in Chicago at Navy Pier. Now I'd like to add music to it, but it appears that only one song can be played and it simply repeats itself.

My slide show is about 30 minutes long so how do I put together more than one song so people are not bored by the music?

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
No offense intended but, perhaps with your slide shows. However, the question is not how long my show is but how do I get more than one song to play?

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
After the last posting I calculated the length of the show and it is actually about 11 minutes long. There are 162 photos and each is shown for 4 seconds.

sgaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I had the same problem and tried creating a playlist. Unfortunately it would only play the first song and repeat when selecting the playlist in the slideshow dialogue. My way around this problem was to just play the playlist in the background as the iPad allows music to play at the same time as running the slideshow.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I have put together a slide show of my trip to the Tall Ships Festival in Chicago at Navy Pier. Now I'd like to add music to it, but it appears that only one song can be played and it simply repeats itself.

My slide show is about 30 minutes long so how do I put together more than one song so people are not bored by the music?

since I think you have a Mac, you can use GarageBand to join together several songs. (for free)

just drag and drop the desired songs into GarageBand, you can edit, splice etc until you have the desired total length of music.

then in GarageBand, go the Share menu, either export your new song to MP3 file, or Send to iTunes.

once your song is in iTunes, sync it to your iPad music library and you should be able to use this new longer edited music file for your slideshow

I've made custom soundtracks for Mac slideshow presentations or DVDs this way. easy to do

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks, b.c.,

Your advice was spot on. Your advice as to dragging and dropping was very helpful as well.

I have never worked much with GarageBand but as with most Apple apps it was very user friendly. I got it done very quickly and it will need some refining it is ready to show.

Thank you very much.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks, b.c.,

Your advice was spot on. Your advice as to dragging and dropping was very helpful as well.

I have never worked much with GarageBand but as with most Apple apps it was very user friendly. I got it done very quickly and it will need some refining it is ready to show.

Thank you very much.

hi Tom - you're very welcome, glad I could help.
I'm not much of a GarageBand user either - I've only really used it for this kind of purpose, or creating ringtones for my iPhone. but it's great to have a tool like that included with the Mac.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I posed this same question to the reps at my local Apple retailer, and they came up with a solution that worked also.

They recommended that I make up the slide show in iMovie on my iMac. This gives you the additional ability to use the "Ken Burns" effect as well as add the music. It worked quite well but is slower as you have to adjust the Ken Burns effect whenever you use it, which should not be too often.

It does allow you to match the music but not with the precision that b.c.'s method has. Of course doing your editing on the iPhone means you don't have things like the Ken Burns effect.

I should say that the cropping ability in iMovie for photo is basically non existant. If I were to do my editing on an iMac, I think that I would do all my cropping of photos in iPhoto, then set up an event of the finished photos to transfer to iMovie and add the Ken Burns effect where I wanted it.

jobyrose

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
hey you can also use the app named Sortshots..You can create slideshows with multiple songs. Also It brings the power of tagging to your photo collection with personalised keywords, ratings etc; once you get everything set up you'll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for in just a couple of taps. Its the best app for organizing photos. :):):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.