Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Hi, sorry for the noob question.

the day before yesterday my iMac went tits up and died, I got a new one and have set itunes back up.

I keep all my music on an external drive, so I re-imported it, but of course the iTunes info was kept on my iMac, so now all ratings, playlists and play counts are dead.

I have my 60g ipod w/video, this was synced a few days ago and has all the ratings and playlists on it.
it there anyway of copying this to my iTunes library?

thanks.

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
My iPod Photo 40gb syncs the play count/last played from the iPod back to the master library automatically. Just plug it in.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
You can't plug it into a different computer, and the original computer is dead as he pointed out.

I'm not sure if you can ever get playcounts back, I think iTunes just keeps track of how many times you played it on your iPod since last sync (+2 times) so that if you play it on both your Mac and iPod between syncs, things work out.

Senuti (link) can definitely get your playlists back, and possible ratings.

Good luck
reality

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
mcdermd said:
My iPod Photo 40gb syncs the play count/last played from the iPod back to the master library automatically. Just plug it in.

yes, but as the mac is new, technically this is a new library, so it will ask me if I want to overwrite everything,
If I say yes it'll wipe the pod, if I say know it won't update it.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
I am about to buy a Macbook, so I had the same question. I was doing some research, and it looks like this article us helpful.

Does anybody have anecdotal evidence about how well any of these utilities work? It's my ratings that I am most concerned about, as I like to use smart playlists based on those ratings.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
In case anybody with the sama problem stumbles on this thread:

I simply moved my entire library from my external hard drive to where it was supposed to reside on the new Mac. When I opened iTunes, *poof*, all of my songs were there, with ratings and play counts intact. Almost too easy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.