Music in iCloud vs on iDevice

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dino F, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

So I was looking to update my iPhone 5 to iOS8 last night and was gobsmacked to be met with the message that I need at least 4.6gb to install it :eek:

Looking through my storage on my iPhone 5, it looks like if I delete all my music, it would free up enough space to download iOS8.

I noticed, however, that most of my music is in the cloud anyway (denoted by the cloud icon next to the tracks) but will still play if I select it.

So my question is, what difference does it make whether I have the music stored in the cloud (which still plays when selected) or actually on my phone?

If I delete it from my phone, I assume it is still available in the cloud?

2. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

If you are streaming the song then you're using your cellular connection. Depending on how much music you listen to, and the size of the track you're playing, you could eat up quite a bit of data each month.

Also, if you are driving somewhere with low or no cellular connectivity, then you'll run into obvious playback issues.

3. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

....cheers dude - perfect answer!!!

So essentially, it streams from the cloud but actually plays if stored on the device!

Thanks!