Music in iTunes, iPhone syncs to iCloud.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BarelakedNadies, Sep 19, 2014.

1. BarelakedNadies macrumors newbie

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Just got a 128GB iPhone so my iPod isn't really needed any more. My problem is that I have 60GB of music in iTunes but my iPhone syncs/backs up to iCloud. I'd like all that music on the iPhone but whenever I plug in to iTunes it says I need to restore to sync the music. I have iTunes match but I'd rather not wait while my phone downloads 60GB of music as that'll take forever.

Is there a way to manually add music to the iPhone through iTunes without syncing everything else or am I stuck with the iTunes match route?

Any help would be great.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You have to disable automatic syncing and manually manage the Music for your iPhone.
    You also can have iTunes Match to stream instead of downloading. The only caveat is that you will have 256 as the maximum quality for each track.

3. BarelakedNadies thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I've disabled Automatic Syncing for the iPhone and ticked Manually manage music and videos but it still says it's going to erase everything first when I try to add some music.

Do I need to do one erase and sync before I can proceed or is there a way round that?

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I believe it shouldn't delete anything unless you have a different iTunes account between the iPhone and the Mac.
    But be mindful that I haven't used iTunes to transfer music for quite some time since iTunes Match gets me all my Music over the cloud.

5. BarelakedNadies thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks.

I think a backup then erase might be needed here unfortunately. After that I'll go back to iCloud backups and then use iTunes match to update new stuff.

Thanks again.