Music in Touch: am I doing this wrong?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Brewerpaul, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I generally like to put a whole album in my Touch, not selected tunes.
    When I put a CD into my desktop, iTunes asks if I want to import it into my library, which I do. Then, in order to get it into my Touch, I've been going to the library, manually selecting all of the tunes in the album (using CRTL/enter) then hitting FILE-create new playlist from selections.
    Then I drag that playlist into my touch.

This seems like a cumbersomely long way of doing it. Isn't there some way of getting the whole album in there with fewer steps: treating it as an album, not a playlist?

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yeah.

in itunes, flick to the album (i do this usually in the cover flow bit) then just drag and drop the album cover into your ipod on the left.

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have a smart playlist setup that everything new goes into. Makes it easier to find. Then I either move the song(s) to a different playlist, or let my other smart lists pick them up. I also have a smart playlist for bands that I like and all music for those bands goes into it directly.
    Everything then is synced to my iPod touch.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Of course you could just choose automatic syncing and all of your songs in iTunes will move to your touch. Or check selected songs/albums and only those will sync. No need to do it manually unless you want to.

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I create playlist and sync my playlist automatically, but I never put an entire album of any group on.

6. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

OK, this is odd. My wife and I each have a Touch: hers is 1g, mine is 2g. We synch them to two separate PCs.

On mine, it's easy to create a playlist in iTunes then drag it into my Touch.
    However, on hers, it won't let her drag. When you put the cursor on the playlist, you get a little circle with a line through it icon with a small number, indicating the # of tunes in the list. When you dry to drag and drop it in her Touch, nothing happens. What's wrong?

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

It looks like you have selected "manually manage music" (see picture below). She has selected automatical syncing, which is better in many ways as people have said before in this thread, but you can't manually copy songs to the iPod. You have to add them to a playlist and tell iTunes to sync that playlist.

Attached Files:

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

well I learned to sync the playlist after have to reformat my iPod when they were having all the trouble with the early firmware, made life much easier when trying to put everything back on...