Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bangzoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2023
Recently, I migrated all files, apps, etc from a 2010 Mac Mini to a newer late 2018 Mac Mini. Also, I copied all of my music files from an older external "media" HDD to a new external "media" SSD. I would like to keep the library organized via the Music app but without having any future music files (ripped CDs, etc) loaded onto my internal Mac Mini drive.
Is there a source available, other than Apple Support, that can help me via "share screen" scenario to remedy issues?

Last edited by a moderator:

bangzoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2023
This definitely helps...my mistake was migrating all from my older 2010 Mac Mini to the 2018...now I have 2 desktop log in options. Here, the path to my music media location is from my old system..so when I go to Music/Settings?Change to change to my external Media drive, nothing shows up. How would I delete/change this (old) path?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
now I have 2 desktop log in options.
Sounds like you are saying you have two accounts on the new Mac mini. Did you use Migration Assistant to transfer the old account to the new Mac mini?
Here, the path to my music media location is from my old system..so when I go to Music/Settings?Change to change to my external Media drive, nothing shows up. How would I delete/change this (old) path?
Not following. Which account (old or new) are you logged in as when "nothing shows up"?

bangzoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2023
Sounds like you are saying you have two accounts on the new Mac mini. Did you use Migration Assistant to transfer the old account to the new Mac mini?

Not following. Which account (old or new) are you logged in as when "nothing shows up"?
The new account is where nothing shows up in the Music app. Also, under new account, only the 2 external drives (icons) appear on desktop. Under old (migrated) account log-in, I see the Mac internal and both external drives on desktop. Under new login, after I change location to (external media drive), do I need to go into Music app/File/Library/Organize... or Music app/File/Import....?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
under new account, only the 2 external drives (icons) appear on desktop
Menu .. Finder > Settings.. > General > Hard Disks (check the box)

Do you plan to use both the "old" and "new" account on the iMac? If so, the Media folder on the external drive can only be associated to one or the other, not both. Why do you need the "new" account if the "old" account has been migrated?

bangzoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2023
Menu .. Finder > Settings.. > General > Hard Disks (check the box)

Do you plan to use both the "old" and "new" account on the iMac? If so, the Media folder on the external drive can only be associated to one or the other, not both. Why do you need the "new" account if the "old" account has been migrated?
I don't plan to use the new account...not sure how it got there to be frank. I'd like to just use the "old" migrated login account. I only see maybe 10% of my music via the Music app...should I now go into the Music app under File tab (not Settings) and "Organize library? Import? Not certain how to get the balance of my library to show up under Music app under my old login.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.