Music lost from iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touchy, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Touchy macrumors regular

Just noticed when I went to sync the unit that all my music was gone off it. I went back to the sync panel and made sure that the proper checks were there and also checked iTunes that the music was there. Tried to sync but it won't add the music but syncs everything else. Any ideas what to do next to restore the music to the unit?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

I am doing a restore now and it is loading from the last backup but that one didn't have the music in the backup, so will have to see how it goes. BTW this is the 2nd gen, 16G iPod touch.

4. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Well I finally got the music back. It didn't happen with the first re-sync after backing up the unit, but when I went back and unchecked the box that was for "sync only those playlists that are checked" (or something like that on the first sync panel) it then started syncing the music!!!! I don't know why and can't explain it but that is what happened. Will have to see what it does when I try again. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the iTunes but it may have become corrupted. Also, when you reload from backup all the apps go back in alphabetical order but not in the sorted order you had them before restore and backup, a real pain to have to do that all over again. But, I am happy all is back for now. Any thoughts???

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

You do not need the "off it" part on the end of your first sentence.

6. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the bad grammar!!
    However, I still have the same problem. Plugging in the iPod touch it synced everything but the music, in fact it wiped out the music files.

I then unchecked the "sync only the checked songs and videos" and the music then synced. I don't understand this. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

The PC computer is authorized, iTunes is up to date as is the iPod touch software.

7. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Again this evening, as long as I leave the unchecked it will sync music, photos, calendar, contacts, apps, etc OK. If I check the "sync only......." it wipes out the music. Very confusing and annoying and it is just the reverse of what it should be. Would really like some help with this.

8. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Have really been frustrated with this one. It does sync but is functioning "arse verse"! I am beginning to think it is an iTunes malfunction altho I did download the latest update after the problem began and it still persists. I am to the point of doing a restore on the PC back to several weeks ago when all was normal but would like any other opinions from the forum before I do that. Thanks.

9. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

I did do a restore on the PC back to several weeks ago before the problem started but the problem still persists. It has been suggested in another thread to delete iTunes and any iPod files from the PC then reboot and reload iTunes. When this is done set the iPod up as a "new one" vs using the backup function. What does anyone think about this approach?

10. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

I must be either confused or the only one with a problem. Will ask again. My iPod touch doesn't appear to be syncing music normally or at least the way I thought it did before. However, it does sync the music properly. Let me explain.

1) on the first page of he sync app I have "open iTunes when this iPod is connected checked
    2) I don't have "sync only checked songs and videos" checked
    3) under "music" I have 'sync music" and "selected playlists" checked

In this set up the music will sync properly. However, if I check "sync only checked songs and videos" on the first page it erases all the music from the iPod touch.

My question is: is this normal? If not is there a suggestion for restoring it back to the proper function?