Music making programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macuserjhs, Jan 25, 2011.

1. macuserjhs macrumors regular

Hello,
    I am looking for a professional program to record vocals and make your own beats(for a mac). Anyone recommend anything? Thanks

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

3. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And why do you think it won't sound professional using GarageBand?

5. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

You cant make beats on garageband. Yes, you can take a beat you made from a different program and put it on garageband but i'm talking about making beats.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, "making beats" is rather a different thing than "sounding professional". As for not being able to make beats in GarageBand, I'll leave that to the beat-makers to dispute.

7. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

You cant sound professional if you cant make beats.

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It is certainly possible to make professional sounding recordings using Garageband. However, I'm not sure what you mean when you say: "You cant make beats on garageband." Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but what do you mean when you say "make beats"?

Garageband is very versatile. Not only can you use loops (MIDI or recorded), but you can also record MIDI from keyboards, drum machines, etc. Plus, you can record digital audio.

I highly suspect it can "make beats", but I don't know exactly what you mean when you say that.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There have been a ton of artists (I suspect millions), both present and past, that have made professional sounding recordings that haven't the faintest idea what "making beats" even is.

10. jackerin macrumors 6502a

"LOL" at this thread...

A "beat" is what they call an instrumental that rappers can rap over. And yes, you can make them with Garageband, but it will take some effort. As someone smarter than me said (paraphrasing), "professional sound doesn't come from a piece of software, it comes from a professional."

11. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Are you serious?

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I can attest to this. It doesn't matter how good the software is, whatever I touch sounds like crap. I have as much musical talent as a tone deaf duck.

I have had friends who were masterful musicians (part of some very big name bands) who used GarageBand and other tools to do some great things.

It isn't the tools, it's the artist, and that's why they are called artists.

13. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Yep. There are some who are good at composing, some at producing, some at mixing, etc. Then of course you have the freaks who are good at everything.

It's just like photography - doesn't matter what camera you have, if you don't have the passion and the skills - your photos aren't going to be spectacular.

To the OP - get Logic Pro, and FXpansion Geist. Post when you think you're a professional, would love to see what kind of results you get.