Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So I only need to transfer the iTunes Media folder? What is the Music folder for then?

I hoped there will be a method so I can't get rid of all the old .xml files from iTunes.
If I recall correctly, upon "import" of the iTunes folder in the default location that the system puts it macOS renamed it to Music and organized my files automatically. The other data files like "genius" were left untouched, but they're tiny data files so theres' no harm in leaving them.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Not sure if it's just me, but I'm having trouble getting past the :apple:Music advertising pop up in the Radio tab. When I click on any of the Recently Played stations (all of which are "From TuneIn") I get the popup asking me to try :apple:Music, and after selecting Not Now (no thanks, Apple) the stream doesn't play. Oddly enough, if I search for a station, I can click and get it to play through from the search results list, but not from Recently Played in the Radio tab.

La BESTIA

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2020
I think you did not change the Default color ? - as per your screen shot? Still on Default

I have it set to Blue and it works - see screen shot

View attachment 1666488

Kinda worked!

What's going on the left-hand side, though?

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.20.05 pm.png

Reactions: Mr. 123 and mikzn

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Ever since updating to Big Sur I noticed that I no longer get the pop up on my iMac asking me to upgrade to a family plan when playing music on both my iPhone and iMac at the same time even though I'm on an individual plan. The music continues playing on both. Looks like a bug.

Last edited:

spot4u

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Hi,

I have installed BigSur yesterday on a 2019 iMac 27". I'm currently missing mouse swipe gestures in Mail App, can anybody confirm? I was using them a lot to Archive or mark Read/Unread.

Would be sad if they just removed this feature..

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I updated my MacBook Air to Big Sur without any major issues and the artwork seems to load fine (except a few seconds when launching the app). I don't have any music downloaded through and everything is just available through iTunes Match.

However in Playlists, you can no longer show albums in album view while sorting by year. In iTunes I can select album view in a playlist and have the most recent albums (2020) at the top of that playlist, or at the bottom, depending on how I set it up, but in Big Sur, the option doesn't exist. It just automatically sorts by album name and artist.

This is a dealbreaker so I won't upgrade my iMac where I have my local library. Any workaround for this? and was this an option that was removed already in Catalina?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
It took me while... System Preferences - Dock and Menu Bar - Battery. Why can't they just have it there in Battery Preferences...

Hey thanks for that ! - could not find out where to "show the date and month in the menu bar "

It was moved from Date and Time (Clock Tab) to Dock and Menu Bar < Show Date

that was driving me nuts - ?

menu bar - date and month.png

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Here we go. The setting is hard to find since it's not part of the "battery preferences" that pop up when you click on the battery in the menu bar.

Hi,

I have installed BigSur yesterday on a 2019 iMac 27". I'm currently missing mouse swipe gestures in Mail App, can anybody confirm? I was using them a lot to Archive or mark Read/Unread.

Would be sad if they just removed this feature..

It took me while... System Preferences - Dock and Menu Bar - Battery. Why can't they just have it there in Battery Preferences...

Hey thanks for that ! - could not find out where to "show the date and month in the menu bar "

It was moved from Date and Time (Clock Tab) to Dock and Menu Bar < Show Date

that was driving me nuts - ?

View attachment 1669902
This is the wrong thread for this people. Can we keep this to Music?

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Is everyone still having problems with the check marks when you view your songs library? Everything shows up checked even if it's not checked. There's no way to check or uncheck anything.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Is everyone still having problems with the check marks when you view your songs library? Everything shows up checked even if it's not checked. There's no way to check or uncheck anything.
The checkmark bug is fixed in 1.1.2.25!

Unfortunately very little else is, but at least you can add descriptions to Playlists now (handy for shared playlists maybe?)

UncommonAsian

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Siri is pretty stupid on the Mac. If I tell her to play "Florence and the Machine" she instead plays "Light and Magic" by Ladytron. If I tell her to play "Florence plus the Machine" she gets it right.

Siri also will NOT play any tunes from Apple Music, ONLY my library. This works fine on my iPhone XR. Is this a bug, an oversight, or a limitation of Siri on Big Sur?
Siri doesn't do it if I ask him either one of that lol. He only played something by her if I specifically mentioned the song title, eg. "Play me Breath of Life by Florence + the Machine". If I just said "Play me some Florence + the Machine" or "Play me something from Florence + the Machine", he just plays a random song from a random playlist lmao. I suspect her name is being improperly recognised as two separate artists, and it's making Siri fail to find a song by "Florence" and "The Machine".

You can still see ratings in the Song list, but there seems to be no way to set the rating of the currently playing song
Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 1.26.52 PM.png
Uhh, is your Star Ratings option enabled? Using Music.app v1.1.1.3 on Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29) I can set song ratings just fine using the Ratings column in the Song list (five blank stars appear on mouseover) or by right clicking and going to Rating.

Reactions: La BESTIA

UncommonAsian

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Bugs
  1. Double clicking a track for the first time will sometimes skip the track
  2. Artwork handling is just terrible. They just don't show up for a lot of songs — sometimes it happens in the Songs view, sometimes in the Album view that pops up when Cmd+L, sometimes in the mini player up top. All the artworks are like 1800px max (usually 1400px)
  3. Rating stars in list view are not retina! How?
    View attachment 951153
  4. Loading the library can take a long time, especially after a force quit. Even on SSD.

1. Fixed(?): Music.app v1.1.1.3 loads any track perfectly the first time.

2. Update: Issue still occurring — Doesn't matter if artwork is low-res (ie. 600px) or high-res (ie. 1400px-1800px).

3. Update: Issue still occurring — Rating stars in list view are still not Retina quality, unless item in list is selected.
    Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 2.22.00 PM.png

4. Fixed(?): Music.app v1.1.1.3 loads my Library (~7000 songs, 60+ GB) in less than 2 secs when starting after a Force Quit.
P.S. The "Always Show" artwork option is to let the app display the album art even when the song is from a single by padding the track's album listing, as in this screenshot:
Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 2.35.59 PM.png

Mapjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
Well, I was not so lucky updating to 11.1. The player top bar in Music is entirely missing! It's also crashing as soon as I activate the mini player. Never seen anything like this. Changing size or going full screen doesn't help. Anyone in the same boat?
itunes bug.jpg

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Well, I was not so lucky updating to 11.1. The player top bar in Music is entirely missing! It's also crashing as soon as I activate the mini player. Never seen anything like this. Changing size or going full screen doesn't help. Anyone in the same boat?

It could be a corrupted library file? I had this issue a couple betas ago and some others did earlier in this thread - have you tried creating a new library and see if it still does the same?

In fact - I did not have to create a new library - I just closed Music - opened again with the option key and browsed back to the same library - opened music from the browser - and the issue was fixed - not sure if that will work for you

Mini Player works fine here

Here is a screen shot

music-album-view.png

nicoduj

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
france
Hi,

exactly the same problem here concerning the player top bar and crash while using mini player. I have tried a new library with no luck.

• Sad
Reactions: mikzn

Mapjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
that's a downer - sounding like something with the app it self or maybe the install / upgrade
Hi mikzn, thank you for your answer. I'm not at home right now so I will try your solution a bit later. I hope it's the library thing but I also tried to launch Music with a guest account (blank library) and the problem still occurs. Sounds like a bug with the beta.

La BESTIA

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2020
Hey, the Music app stopped as soon as it reached this gap. Wasn't it supposed to simply skip that unavailable song? ?

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.48.39 pm.png

Mapjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
All right I think I found the culprit. It's because the system for those who are affected like nicoduj and myself is set in a foreign language (French is this case) . If I restart using English as the main language used in the OS, the top bar is back! Very strange, but hey that's part of the deal when we use a beta!

Reactions: La BESTIA and mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.