Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bid2ask77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
New York
my computer chrashed and i was woundering if there was a way to transfer my music from my ipod touch to my computer. i have all of it saved on my ipod but my computer wiped out and i was told i could only transfer music that was bought from itunes back to the computer. Is there a way to copy everything. I have a Imac.

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
im pretty sure there is also a way to do this without having to download software..
i dont remember exactly

if you access your ipod like a hard drive through windows explorer (or mac equiv.) you can find all the music files.
They will not look like music files or have any familier file extension. but i honestly want to say all i had to do was change their file extension to somethign else and they were usable.

i googled the issue and didnt want to download some program but found instructions.... good luck

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
im pretty sure there is also a way to do this without having to download software..
i dont remember exactly

if you access your ipod like a hard drive through windows explorer (or mac equiv.) you can find all the music files.
They will not look like music files or have any familier file extension. but i honestly want to say all i had to do was change their file extension to somethign else and they were usable.

i googled the issue and didnt want to download some program but found instructions.... good luck

Unless you jailbreak, you can't see an iPod Touch as a hard drive.

moonkhan253

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
music off ipod

itunes blocks this function since itunes is the tool with one way to transfer files from itune to ipod. you must utilize other tools to achieve that. There're couple of tools for transferring the files between ipod and computer (for backup)depends on your demands, e.g transfer only songs/videos, transfer photos etc. You can have a look of below review site, hope it useful.

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
There's always another way to kill a cat... And, it seems, to be snarky on the internet ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.