Music on all pages of iWeb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fredrok, May 8, 2008.

1. fredrok macrumors newbie

Hi all,

New to Mac and iWeb and like it all so far. I'm hung up on a issue with iWeb in that I can't figure out how to let a music file continue playing as you progress through the pages. I can add the file to a page, but when you click to the next, the music stops.

Any help please?

Thank you

2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will work unless you make the page content dynamically change when you click a "link" instead of opening a genuine new page.

But, have you ever actually found people who like music playing from webpages (other than e.g. last.fm) while they browse? I guess it could be okay if it's not playing and not downloaded unless you click a 'give me music' link.

Edit: just thought, a small pop-up window with a music playing script/whatever in it would allow your music to persist while a user browses various pages in his/her main browser window.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Though I absolutely hate web sites playing music I have seen people store the position of a song when they leave a page and store it in a cookie. Then, when you load the next page it checks the cookie and starts playing from that point rather than starting over. That's the principle of it anyways and there would be a pause in the music while the page loads. I don't know specifically how to achieve it though, but have come across it so just keep searching. And as a plea, don't make the music turn on automatically when people arrive, let them choose to turn it on.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

++ Music on websites is a big no no. Don't do it.

If you *have* to have music do this.

You could otherwise do this with AJAX, there is no way iWeb will let you do this if it isn't obvious, you'll need a *much* more advanced product.

5. fredrok thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the help. Yes, I know music on websites is a nono, but I'm actually creating a photo album for friends and family about a recent trip. The music is actually the humor for the pics.

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Use javascript to change the images rather than using a different page for each image. That way the music can continue to play.