Music on Apple Watch but not on iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by adambird, Apr 18, 2015.

1. adambird macrumors 6502

Regrettably, I only have the 16gb iPhone 6+ and therefore one of the things I was most excited about with the Watch was the ability to free up space on my phone by storing my music on my watch.

However, without any way to direct connect the watch to iTunes, will the music have to be stored on the phone in order to be on the watch anyway?

I really hope there is a way to only have my music on my Watch as this would be super helpful

2. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

You can store 2GB worth of music on the watch.

3. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Well, you can sync playlists onto the Watch for a maximum of 2GB of music. Could you remove that playlist off your phone afterwards? Can't say for sure, but it might be possible.

4. adambird thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes but does that music also have to be on your phone at the same time?

----------

So initially the music might have to be on the phone but then I could remove it from the phone once it's on the Watch? Hope so...

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Ah, ok, they haven't said. I'm sure it has to be on the phone initially, but after that, we'll have to wait until we receive the watch to find out.

6. shandyman Suspended

I wonder if it might use iTunes Match or iTunes in the Cloud via the iPhone. Uses the iPhone for the point of reference, then uses the iPhone to download them. We will see in a few days!

7. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

8. shandyman Suspended

9. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Being able to just use it with iTunes Match was my hope from the beginning.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

The software developer in me thinks this will be a big NO (or at least a lot of trouble). The setting says which playlist on your phone to match. I would expect that if you add or remove songs to that playlist on your phone then it will update it to match the next time you charge.

11. shandyman Suspended

It makes sense. Apple would try and make it easy as possible.

The playlists on my phone are from iTunes Match, but not downloaded to my phone. The article mentions iTunes in the Cloud, which is also something where not all songs are on the phone. A lot of people use iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match, without having the songs on the phone. I bet that Apple will utilise this. We will see on Friday.

12. adambird thread starter macrumors 6502

13. shandyman Suspended

iTunes in the Cloud is free.

14. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

I never used iTunes match on my phone. Because it would drain my battery and data. and when I switch Apple IDs for whatever reason, it would take ages to re-sync.

The watch though, I hope I can sync 1 cloud playlist, that would be awesome.