Music on hard Drive connected to AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rh535, Aug 3, 2008.

1. rh535 macrumors member

I want to have my song on my hard drive connected to my airport express base station. I don't want to have any music on my machine, only on the external drive. Is this possible?

2. corinhorn macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

I've done it, but its kind of fidgety. The larger the music library is, the more fidgety it will become. Also, speed with an HD connected to an AEBS fluctuates at times thus causing playback performance issues. I gave up fighting it and went back to using my music HD connected to my iMac.

3. rh535 thread starter macrumors member

4. corinhorn macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

Assuming you are going to be using iTunes, this is pretty much what I did:
    1. Open iTunes while holding down the Option key. A dialogue box will appear that says Choose iTunes Library
    2. Click Create Library
    3. Select where you wan to save your new iTunes library, in this case your HD connected to your AEBS.
    4. Choose what name you want for new library, in my case I used Network Library .
    5. Click Save

You can then import your media and it should copy them to the AEBS HD. Your old iTunes Library will still be saved and you can still access it by holding down the Option key when you open iTunes.

Good luck. I hope you have more luck with this than I did. Let me know if it works for you.