music on 'jailbroken' ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by dmn001, Nov 24, 2009.

1. dmn001 macrumors newbie

I recently found a program called iphone folders:
    http://iphonefolders.ru/default.html

My question is: how is the database on ipod touch organised? Is it possible to drag and drop folders (using the mentioned above) into the music folder and play using the music app, or if not, a 3rd party music player? Is the database constructed from itunes or from the device?

This is because I want to avoid using itunes to transfer mp3s, as I have had bad experiences in its database and its organisation.

I have used shuffle-db and repear (both on sourceforge). Maybe it can be modified for ipod touch? I want to know this before I purchase an ipod touch. Thanks.

Dave

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPods, including iPod touch, are designed from the ground up to be used with iTunes. Alternate ways of putting music onto the touch are complicated and a lot of hassle, and also very unstable. IMO, if you are set against using iTunes, then an iPod isn't for you.

3. dmn001 thread starter macrumors newbie

i heard a lot of people currently use ssh to transfer things - does that include music or not?

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Probably to store and edit system files. People almost never transfer music that way for playback. Why go through the hard way when there's iTunes?

5. dmn001 thread starter macrumors newbie

so can anyone answer the original question: how is the music database on ipod touch organised? maybe screen shots or listing of file structure would be helpful. thanks.

6. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

They are stored in private/var/mobile/media/iTunes_Control/Music

They are separated into folders from F00, F01 onwards.

[​IMG]

7. dmn001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ice-Cube.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The actual database is the file iTunesCDB at private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/

It's in a propietary format, and you'll need a lot of programming expertise to figure out how to read and write to it. Unless a song is registered in this database, it won't play in the ipod music player. If you search, there are other programs than iTunes that can read and write into this database, but in my experience, a lot of them are not stable. In any case, the fact remains that you cannot play songs by just ssh'ing them onto the ipod. You need to use iTunes or other program that can write them into this database. There are alternate media player apps available for jailbroken Touch, but none of them are nearly as nice as the native iTunes music player.

And what about other kinds of content you might want to put on the iPod, like pictures, contacts, calendar, apps? They are all managed through iTunes also. If you want to update your iPod to the latest firmware, again you need iTunes. So if you want an iPod, you need to learn to live with iTunes.