Music organization in Mac OS lion/itunes! driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by 54321bam, Mar 23, 2012.

1. 54321bam macrumors newbie

Not sure if the OS makes a difference but coming from a PC, I'm as noob as it gets. Search didn't get me the results so I apologize if this is a repost. Been a frequent visitor on Macforums since I got my macbook air (which I LOVE) but just signed up today for the forums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76309747@N08/7010135545/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76309747@N08/6864011686/in/photostream/lightbox/

Above are links (sorry my pics won't link!)of how my MUSIC folder and ITUNES folder looks like. As you can see a total freaking mess lol. I'm kind of a neat freak so I organize all my music on PC by month. I had originally imported it by month but then after putting into Itunes, THIS is what I got!

I've tried deleting everything and re organizing to no avail. Someone please help! Driving me nuts here lol

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you have the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" box checked it arranges it according to pre-defined rules. You can turn this off if you want to arrange your music folder according to your tastes.

3. 54321bam thread starter macrumors newbie

But since all my music in the folders are scrambled already will I have to redelete everything and try to organize again?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't understand the problem. I look at the iTunes window and notice you clicked on "names" to sort on the name column and sure enough it is in name order. If you like to see it sorted by "date added" then click that column header and iTunes will re-sort the display. You can have it sorted any why you like with one mouse click.

OK, you care bout the folders iTunes uses. My advice is "Never look in those folders and certainly NEVER mess with them." Looksing in those folders is like opening up your iPhone and looking at the chips on the PCB. Why in the world would you ever do that unless you were just curious? Best to simply forget that iTunes uses a library.