Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JB9988

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I just bought an external hdd yesterday and i have all my music on it now, only problem is i cant use itunes on it. When i copy it to my hdd it returns al my music to my internal start up hdd. Is there a program like itunes that allows to organize and play music. if you know of any please post. Thank You.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
In Itunes, go to preferences->advanced->general

uncheck the boxes that say "keep iTunes music folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library"

Now, you can add songs to iTunes and they will stay on your external

JB9988

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
In Itunes, go to preferences->advanced->general

uncheck the boxes that say "keep iTunes music folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library"

Now, you can add songs to iTunes and they will stay on your external

yea but then they are on my internal hdd to and i dont want that.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
yea but then they are on my internal hdd to and i dont want that.

Ok, from what I understand, you want to keep your music on your external, right?

Well, if you do as I instructed above, and then you add you music to iTunes from your external, it will stay on your external and not get copied to your internal.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
You shouldn't have to uncheck those (and I wouldn't). Just change the source folder setting. (it's right above those check boxes)

JB9988

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Never mind I'm dumb it worked thank you very much! The drive is insane its a 500gb and i have a 250gb on the way too now.

djchrisblew

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Mac Organizer

I hate iTunes organizer It makes music harder to find with all those folders u have to open before u get to your track.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I hate iTunes organizer It makes music harder to find with all those folders u have to open before u get to your track.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I find that iTunes' organisation makes it easier for me to just load tracks, instead of maintaining folders myself. Before I told iTunes to organise my music (when I used the PC version of iTunes), I'd have songs scattered all over my hard drive, and moving songs would make iTunes forget where they were located. Having them in folders organised by artist and album makes things a lot less complicated.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
You shouldn't have to uncheck those (and I wouldn't). Just change the source folder setting. (it's right above those check boxes)

This. I kept my iTunes library on an external for some time. This is how I set it up. I still had it "organized" and I still had songs copied to the source when they were dragged in. It worked out fine (although I like having my library on my internal better.
If you happen to add songs to your library while you are away from your external hard drive, I forget what it is, although it might be "Organize Library" under File > Library. (It is possible they've changed the settings around a bit since I've done it last.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I find that iTunes' organisation makes it easier for me to just load tracks, instead of maintaining folders myself.

Me too. I like having it organized and in one place.

Clint Glen

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I'm looking for something like YAMO (this program crashes for me, please don't bother suggesting possible solutions). I need a program that will sort my music into folders where the folder name is the artist of the song then organize by album. Also i really need some way to get album art for all my songs and fix the ones that are incorrect. If possible i would like to automatically find and delete duplicate and corrupt files. I'm not necessarily asking for a single program that does all this, several are fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.