Music Player Needs an update

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by crizza0309, Oct 2, 2013.

1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

Expands the albums in the artists view, f u wanna play an album through artist view its a process and it shouldnt be that much work, and to top it off it sorts albums by year. worst thing about ios7

2. Dented macrumors 6502a

A simple tweak to make a press on album art to expand/contract that album would fix the first.. The second I don't have a problem with at all, in fact it seems very logical to me; one of those things that may be different to what people are used to, but not actually worse..

3. defunct32 macrumors regular

Keep the look of iOS 7 but keep the functions and mechanics of the music app from iOS 6.1.3, is it even that hard, Apple? Jeez.

4. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Try opening and closing the music player at least 15 times while playing a song.

On the 15th try, the app will start to hang and not update the track timing and it will crash eventually. Try it.

5. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

so youre saying when choosing an album through the artist section playing a song, hitting the button on the top right and then hitting a DIFFERENT song to get it to play just songs from the album is logical?

6. Dented macrumors 6502a

I'm saying that ordering albums by year is logical, not sure what the complaint is there.

Yes they could make it easier to choose an individual album from the artists view.. but there is still the album view mind.

7. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

not logical if some of your stuff doesnt have the year and its all out of wack. at least if its in alphabetical you know exactly where to find it

8. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Sorting albums by year in artist view does make some sense. This way you can easily scroll through their song history.

9. defunct32 macrumors regular

Really? What if for example, an artist who had a long career and release over 15 albums and each album has 20 songs and being a music lover you have every single song and album by that one artist, now imagine if you want to listen to their recent albums and you gotta scroll and trudge through 200+ songs to get to that particular album, it's annoying!

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Is THAT how you recreate it? I had the issue... but I thought it was just sporadic. Music App has plenty of bugs.

11. Altis macrumors 68020

It happens for me every time I try to skip a few songs when the app has been open a while. During some activities, I tend to wake my phone every 2-3 mins to skip some songs... it gets very slow and crashes every 30-60 minutes.

Denon Audio app is starting to win my heart.

Aside from the Album sorting (which would work perfectly fine for a certain type of music library) doesn't help when you have only a couple of songs from each album, and no idea or care when they came out.

A "view all songs" at the top like has always been the case until now would be terrific.

12. kieranet macrumors member

Your argument is redundant. If albums are sorted alphabetically you could still have exactly the same problem. For example, you are a massive Smashing Pumpkins fan and have their whole discography but you really want to listen to Zeitgeist. Inevitably it's at the bottom so you have to scroll for ages.

Regardless of how albums are sorted, in it's current format, lots of scrolling is required. It should definitely be changed to show an album layer before song layer; and, for added usability, there should be an option of how to sort them to keep everyone happy.

13. defunct32 macrumors regular

Maybe my example wasn't all that great, while sorting albums in chronological format seems like a ... I don't know what's the word for it? Cool or something? I find it much easier to look for an album in alphabetical order, scrolling is of course inevitable if you have a large collection but it will make your task easier and faster knowing the letter and where to stop instead of a hit and miss scrolling up and down because it was sorted chronologically.

I don't know man, I love 6.1.3 music app it was perfection.

14. kieranet macrumors member

Each to their own - it would be boring if we all thought the same. If anything - whilst I do prefer chronological to alphabetical, to me, most recent at the top would make much more sense (more likely to listen to a recent album) and would save scrolling.

But yes, I agree with you. Music in ios6 was much better.

15. defunct32 macrumors regular

Music Player Needs an update

Which is why I'm still on iOS 6; because my iPod other than a gaming device is also my music player :) ...it won't be for long until eventually I'll have to upgrade my OS though, maybe iOS 7 is still new and Apple is still working things out as we speak, heck, there are people already looking forward to 8, is 7 that bad? Personally I don't think so but some aspect of 7 is just undesirable!

16. kieranet macrumors member

I wasn't too fussed about upgrading after seeing what new features were being offered and once installed I wasn't particularly happy with it.

However, it just takes a little getting used to. The simplistic look has grown on me a lot and it actually does make a lot of sense. There are some neat new features and even on my ancient iphone 4 it runs reasonably smoothly.

My main gripes, though, are with Music and Calendar. Both are just...horrible.

17. Altis macrumors 68020

I hadn't even considered how much more the music app flaws would be ironic on the iPod touches. I know it should be the same thing, but to buy a music playing device that is now kind of poorly set up for music playing.

Oddly enough, I decided to get out the old iPod classic 60 GB and use that. The scroll wheel isn't as smooth as it used to be, though. :rolleyes:

18. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

yep that's how I recreate the problem.

I did it on a fresh install of ioS7 without restoring from backup.

Same issues

19. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Another aspect that's been lost compared to iOS6, is if you had a great number of albums by one artist, you got an alphabetic selection menu on the right of the screen, so you could go straight to "Z" if you wanted with no scrolling.

20. sohanangal macrumors member

Why is the music player so buggy??? I had issues with the song going back 5 seconds when I unlock the phone. Now, every time the car goes through a ditch on the road or a speed breaker, the music player starts playing automatically. It is very frustrating! Has this been reported to Apple?

21. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I mean, dude....please go work for Apple and make this happen. This is the ABSOLUTE best idea I've heard....perfectly said. Y didn't they just do this from the beginning?

22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I listen to audio books... it's gone back way further than 5 seconds. Though I haven't had the issue in the last few days. Probably because I have to restart my phone every day now due to the iMessage bug.

23. AppleGuyz macrumors newbie

24. RedGT macrumors member

RedGT

And not forgetting what it's done to my mp3's. I record radio shows from the internet stream and then using iTunes I set them as podcasts, ios6 was fine with this using the music player and iTunes remembered the playback position when I did a sync and then wanted to play the file on my desktop computer. Now I can't get anything to work properly with the official podcast app, this is one of the reasons I chose and iPhone over and android device. #