Music player other than iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by astro21, Mar 23, 2009.

1. astro21 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just got a MacBook Pro and have always used PCs before that. I'm looking for a simple music player that is like WinAmp on PCs. I know that most people use iTunes but I don't need so many functions out of a music player, all I need is something that plays my mp3s, .WAVs, etc without all the fuss and deal with simple playlists.

Would anyone have a recommendation? (free preferably!...) I've been searching the net but can't find anything.

Thanks,

A

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some use Songbird, but I have no direct experience with it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. nuttyboy78 macrumors newbie

VLC player - works just as well for audio as it does for video.
    Simple interface, does the job

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

using winamp is so 90s.

How are you going to remember where is your favorite song? Can you find your favorite songs easily? Can you find songs you have not listened to easily?

Time to consider a better way of organizing music.

5. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Wait......

You think iTunes is more confusing than WinAmp?!?!

6. Oz86 macrumors newbie

7. astro21 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not about being confused. I don't need a software that organizes all my music, enables me to buy music online or organizes my tracks based on what the software thinks goes together well. I just need a music player which doesn't take much space on my screen and can play a variety of formats (including FLAC). I don't really need to know what tracks I haven't been listening to recently or which are my favorite tracks -- I can figure that out myself! :)

8. jeremybuff macrumors regular

I see what you mean, but couldn't you just use the miniature mode or something like bowtie? You'll most likely...eventually.. need/want iTunes.

Just me 2cents!

9. alexmaras macrumors newbie

alexmaras

Cog all the way

not true in the slightest :) iv been an ecstatic foobar user for years and have just got cog - and its great. i know exactyl what you mean about itunes. especially if you dont have an ipod - its a bloated monster of conformity :) itunes and ipod are the two things i think apple could improve infinite amounts. the other option is darWINE - run winamp/foobar directly.. but its not a great alternative