Music Player Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by garitd, Nov 5, 2010.

1. garitd macrumors newbie

garitd

I would love to hear some suggestions on what to use to play my music (.flac) on my mac.

I have absolutely no interest in converting anything. I just want something to play them.. basic functionality in the player. I've used VLC and Cog, both are pretty basic but a little buggy.

What do you guys use?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Sorry. Given that you don't want to convert, there isn't really anything that I can recommend. FLAC support isn't great in the OS X environment sadly. ALAC, however, is great. I've converted a bunch of FLAC files and am very happily using them in iTunes, and playing them on my iPods, AppleTVs and through AirTunes on my hifi. There isn't anything for FLAC that will give you that kind of versatility in a robust full-featured media organizer and player.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Personally I'd convert to Apple Lossless using Max http://sbooth.org/Max/

Because Apple lossless is (by definition) lossless, you can convert to/from .flac as many times as you like and you won't loose a bit.

.flac is a pretty useless format on the Mac. You can't stream it, can't put it on an iPod, can't play it in iTunes.