Music players

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toonz diggler, Nov 11, 2007.

1. toonz diggler macrumors member

I dont like Itunes, and prefer winamp. Is winamp available for mac? I've been unable to locate any links. If not, any suggest to good music players

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Winamp is not available for OS X. If you don't like iTunes, there aren't too many other options...
    I can't recommend others to you, but hopefully others will wander by who know more.

Here's one called Audion

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah iTunes really is the way to go, but you could always try VLC. It's really more of a video player, but it will play audio in a similar way to Winamp.

4. skeen macrumors 6502

I have to ask: what's wrong with iTunes? Winamp is so incredibly limited - I'm sure I've never used a player as good as iTunes.

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm pretty thankful we live in a world where Winamp has been rendered obsolete.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Some people prefer the simplicity of things like Winamp. I prefer tools with more power than iTunes which doesn't require extensive nerding, unlike say Foobar which is hella powerful but requires that you have that Linux mindset to be able to use - all of which is offered on Windows and not on OSX.

It's ironic isn't it - for an ecosystem where apparently media is it's strong suit, you haven't got a truly outstanding player either way you want to go - only something that's basically 'good enough' for everyone. Not that it's a bad default choice, but it kind of shows you exactly how little real substance there is behind the OS X pizazz, but also how easily people fall for it. On the Dark Side we get all the other alternatives - and iTunes, should we want to use it.

Songbird is the Great White Hope for OS X users who want an iTunes alternative. It's no Winamp, but check it out.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I say iTunes is pretty outstanding...

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's pretty good certainly, but when it's your only really viable choice the deficiencies of a crowed-over media-friendly machine becomes rather glaring, especially when there are stacks of better, more powerful and/or simpler options under Windows - and, as I said, obviously iTunes as well.

9. toonz diggler thread starter macrumors member

Well my reason is that I never owned an Ipod before. I've had Iriver, and now a Zune, so i never had to use itunes. ok i will try and mess around with itunes today.

thanks

10. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

You'll kick yourself when you get into it ;)
    Its so easy and intuitive and also looks quite attractive
    The new visualizers are also leagues ahead of WMP