Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adviceplz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Hey, so recently my old 2011 MacBook has kicked the bucket. I'm looking into the 5K 27" iMac to replace my setup as I don't need it to be very mobile. Also looking to upgrade to 4.0gHz QC i7 and currently 16GB of RAM (advice on whether it's worth going up to 32GB? I'll be using NI libraries and samples but this ties into a later question too...)

Questions...

1. Is this an ideal setup for what I'm after? I'll be sticking with the 2TB fusion drive, would this be enough? Are there any suggestions I should use to maximize my processing in favour of a music production setup?

2. I've read a lot about people running samples/sample libraries off hard-drives to free up processing power. Would this be appropriate to use in this situation? If I ran my sample library from -say - a 1TB external hard-drive would this negate the need to have other upgrades in areas of the iMac mentioned earlier?

3. Furthermore - is it possible to run all plugins/samples/sample libraries off an external drive and purely run just the software and any live instruments into the the iMac through my audio itnerface? (This doesn't sound possible from my very untechnically-minded POV, only the sample library on the external HD makes sense but do educate me like a child if need be - I've got no idea on this stuff.)

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any suggestions and advice is hugely appreciated - as I said I suck at this sort of stuff so anyone who's willing to give me a walk through all this would be great!

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
I bought a baseline iMac i5 with 8mb ram for work second hand. I took it home and fired up Cubase. It could run more plugins than my 2013 rMBP 2.3GHz i7 with 16gb ram. I released quite a few albums/EPs and 12"s on that MBP.
I don't think you'll have any problems with the machine you mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.