Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcmestrinho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Hello!

So, I am a music producer for a couple of years now and I am working with my 5/6 years old MacBook Pro 15" with a Core2Duo, 4GB (RAM) and 160GB HHD (5200rpm - I think) and is very frustrating to be able to have multiple vst's / plugins to work simultaneously (Using Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 9).

I'm with some doubts among the MacBook Pro (15.4 ") i7 Quad-Core (2.0 GHz) with 8 GB memory (RAM) and Iris Graphics Pro, MacBook Pro (13") i5 Quad-Core with 8GB (RAM) or a MacBook Air i5/i7 with 8GB (RAM).

I do not have much money to spend at the moment, so was wondering if any of these MacBook will last me a few years?

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I feel the Macbook Pro 15" would be the smartest choice. Comparing the MBP with any Air even fully upgraded isn't really a great comparison. However if you want to go in the middle I can vouch first hand for the 13" rMBP, fantastic little machine.
As it usually is with electronics, go with what you need and the more you spend initially the longer you'll go without thinking "I wish I had X"

guineaphinea

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
I'm not sure whether or not you're dead set on a 13" but the screen on my mid-2012 is a little cramped when working in Studio One. Otherwise, performance isn't an issue.

I'd personally get the 15" and keep away from the Macbook Air. The difference in ports alone is enough to warrant getting the Pro.

donato

Suspended
Jun 3, 2008
I have the new 13" Pro, using Studio One and only VST's. I think it's fine. If I want more screen, I plug in an extra monitor I have and use it as an extra display in conjunction with my 13".

guineaphinea

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
I have the new 13" Pro, using Studio One and only VST's. I think it's fine. If I want more screen, I plug in an extra monitor I have and use it as an extra display in conjunction with my 13".

Sometimes it's hard to use an external monitor in a moving car or take it with you other places... :p Either way, it is totally workable, just not my favorite thing to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.