Music Program at school

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jbones234, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jbones234 macrumors newbie

HI, I'm Jordan and I'm going to be going into a Music Industries program next year at ASU and I want to know what Mac computers and accessories I should look into getting for this. The program requires work in a studio as well as with Pro Tools and other computer recording and editing software. A laptop is not required to be in this program but is highly recommended and I am looking at it as an investment. I also however need a laptop that will be good for ordinary school work. I play a lot instruments and currently have a Tascam Us-16-41 interface, is this compatible with Mac?

What I have looked at getting is a Macbook pro Or a Mac Mini and an Ipad. I know that the Ipad has a simple version of Garage band avaliable and tons of other cool Music and school apps and that the Mac Mini just updated. Which road should I take?

Thanks everyone,

-jordan

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Jordan, you are definitely going to want a Macbook if you need to run Protools on it. Regarding the Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Air difference it really matters how complicated your music will be. If you intend on having many tracks and lots of effects, I'd recommend the 15" for the quad core processor. You can upgrade the ram and hard drive yourself when the time comes. If you think your needs will be simpler, either of the dual core models will be fine, the 13" MBA or MBP.

By the way, any Macbook will be more than fine for normal school work. Don't sweat that.

If your school requires a laptop, you will not be able to get by with a Mini and an iPad. Protools does not run on iPads at all. It requires a lot more hardware resources than the iPad possesses so there's little to no chance that Protools will be available for the iPad anytime in the near future.

Google says your Tascam is Mac compatible.

3. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Recommend you talk with the schools IT section and see what systems they recommend and support. I'd go with that first.

4. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

For the sake of future proofing, as well as resale value, go with the MBP.