Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

I have a question I believe Apple Streams its music at AAC 226 KBPS sound quality right ? Please correct me if I am wrong ? If anyone have you heard soundcloud.com it streams its music on 128 kbps MP3 still the music on soundcloud sounds much loud, and clear and open where as Apple Music sounds Muffled. Has anyone else observed this difference ? Please comment people !!

And yeah there is nothing wrong with the speakers I am using :) I have a beast of speakers in the form of Powerhouse the JBL Authentics L8 ;)

Last edited:

peterpayne

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
Apple Music is 256 kbps AAC. Soundcloud is 128 kbps mp3 but they do something with the loudness. Same file uploaded on bandcamp, iTunes/Apple Music, Spotify, Soundcloud, etc. will sound louder on Soundcloud. Louder not always is better, as you know.

What device are you using?

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Louder not always is better, as you know.

I know that ! Did you even carefully read what I have posted ?? What I am saying is besides from being loud the music on SoundCloud does not sound as muffled as it sounds on Apple Music !

peterpayne

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
I know that ! Did you even carefully read what I have posted ?? What I am saying is besides from being loud the music on SoundCloud does not sound as muffled as it sounds on Apple Music !

I read what you posted and was trying to help, that's why I asked what device are you using, not every iPhone sounds the same.

Apple Music doesn't sound muffled at all to me. SoundClouds (to me) sounds just louder.

But I'm no expert, sorry, I just love music. So I cannot give you a proper answer I guess.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’m possibly controversially going to throw my hat in the ring in favour of Apple Music.

I’ve never had issue with poor sounding audio, indeed even compared to Soundcloud I prefer the quality of Apple Music.

Obviously I have the “High-Quality Streaming” option enabled in the Settings app of iOS. Even if I’m just using my iPhone and AirPods I find the quality more than acceptable, with a nice clean, open and clear soundstage. As for the loudness, on many albums (iOS 11) with my AirPods I can’t go to full volume because it’s ridiculously loud, but it doesn’t break up which is nice. Switching to a good pair of wired cans improves the audio yet again over listening with AirPods.

For home listening using my Apple TV connected to my amp, the quality is easily among the best streaming services I’ve used and that’s all bar Pandora.
iTunes on my Mac, with external speakers, is likewise as lovely sounding.

Everyone’s ears are different, to me I’ve only found three things I like better than Apple Music. Tidal’s uncompressed streaming (on a good connection otherwise the quality drops.) Uncompressed Music I have ripped from CD’s and Vinyl. And finally, of course, original source material.

I have a fairly large FLAC collection for my CD’s and Vinyl rips, mainly for music that really benefits from being uncompressed. Which I listen to on a high rez audio player. Obviously all music does, but you know what I mean, some music doesn’t loose too much to being compressed, certainly not to the degree that bothers me.

Each to their own really, no-one can decide what any person finds most suitable to their listening preference. But for me, when it comes to streaming, I’m perfectly happy with Apple Music.

Reactions: peterpayne

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
No Guys ! Again gave Soundcloud a try and also Apple Music... Soundlcoud definitely sounds more open compared to Apple Music which too me sounds a little Muffled. It might sound ok as an individual music but when you compare it to soundlcoud the results are far than evident.

You guys should try and listen it on a big speaker system not on your headphones or earphones ? and then decide.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
No? No? Really, just flat out no? I’m afraid I can’t accept that. If all you’re saying is that to you it sounds better and you prefer it, then hell yeah, why not. We’re all entitled to our own preferences. But not a flat out no. Let the rest of us decide for ourselves.

I’ve listened to both (and many other services) on a wide range of hardware. From normal Bluetooth headphones, to AirPods, to quality wired cans, to portable speakers right up to high quality HiFi systems and I’m afraid I have a different opinion to you.

That’s the thing about any audio source, it’s not the defining factor. No matter how meagre or how splendid the system playing it is.

It all boils down to two things and those two things are stuck to the side of our heads.

I used to be overly obsessed with my HiFi systems. I spent a, well let’s just say a stupid amount of money, on top of the range HiFi and speakers. I spent a lot of time positioning things in the room, adding dampening and so on all to get the perfect listening environment.

It was absolute bliss, I’ve never heard anything better. My friend on the other hand preferred his cheap little system with ridiculous no-name speakers. Why? Because his system battered out bass like there was no tomorrow. It was comically overdone and frankly ruined every piece of music I ever heard on it.

But to him, nothing was better and that’s just fine. If that’s what he wanted, if that’s what sounded right to him in a way that gave him enjoyment from his music. Well then, that’s just great, that’s what music is about, getting enjoyment from listening to it.

Did I ever mock his ridiculous sounding system? No, hell no. It sounded the way he wanted it to sound. There’s no arguing with that.

Why have I waffled that rot out, just to highlight what I said at the start. To you Soundcloud may well sound better. It may well be the way you want to hear music. But that doesn’t apply to the rest of us. It’s sure as hell not the source I’d be choosing for my listening enjoyment.

But then, neither is Apple Music. It’s convenient, it’s got a great library and it sounds ok.

But if I really want to enjoy music at its fullest. Well, I’m putting on some vinyl (or even a cd) and sitting in a comfy chair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.