Music Recording/Editing. Is Logic Pro good? Whats better?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Edgwaldo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Edgwaldo macrumors newbie

I just recently got a new Mac Pro. I'm gonna be doing a lot of music recording on it. I have a Motu 8pre external i/o and some condenser mics. Im also gonna be plugging some guitars into it. etc. My question is what music recording/editing software should i get? I dont think i can afford pro tools and don't really want to have to get the extra hardware for it. Is logic pro a good way to go? What other programs are out there that would be worth considering? I definitely want to try to make my setup as professional as possible without spending an insane amount of money. Any suggestions?:confused:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Logic Pro is great.

You also have the option of Digital Performer from MOTU, Cubase and Nuendo from Steinberg/Yamaha,
    Then there are Sequel from Steinberg and Traction from Mackie (which are a bit simpler than the others).

ProTools is pretty much out cause you have already committed to non-Digidesign hardware.

3. Edgwaldo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. So as of right now i think I'm still gonna go with logic. Ive been doing some research and it seems to be the best for me. Nice interface. Friendly looking. Seems to be good for semi-beginners like myself but not so easy that it would lack certain nice features. Would you guys agree? Do you guys happen to know anything about the other programs that come with logic studio? Main stage in particular. Thanks again.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I bought Logic (Express, not the full studio version yet), because I heard that it was a very good and powerful music creation tool. I must say, that after having used it since I got my Macbook, I know this to be true. Using Cubase, Reason, et cetera falls short for me, because I find their UIs to be extremely ugly and lacking. For others, that probably isn't a problem, but for me, it kills my productivity big time. I think you'll like Logic a lot. It's easy once you get the hang of it, and it's powerful.

Sorry, don't know about the other programs, as I have express and not Studio.

5. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

listen to canadaram, he/she knows!
    to me, for you, logic pro is the ONLY way to go.
    - you have a mac laptop = apple make logic = harmony = support
    - logic is not easy. simple tracks, yes. but it is a DEEP insanely complex package. HUGE. soooooooooo many options/menus.........this is good and bad

logic express is good way to go. £100 roughly.
    then.........£200 for upgrade to full logic studio.
    so total cost is same as just buying logic studio.
    if you can afford, just buy the full package. its really cheap. really cheap.
    compared to the old days.

6. sphere105 macrumors newbie

Re:Music Recording/Editing. Is Logic Pro good? Whats better?

Mainstage is the live performance part of Logic Studio. It has all of Logic's built-in synths (such as the ESX, Ultrabeat, etc) in a way for you to use them live with a midi keyboard. I recommend you get Logic for serious music production, but Ableton Live is also a very powerful software. I am currently learning both. You can use them together too. Logic can take midi and/or audio inputs from Ableton or Reason. Ableton costs a little less than Logic too.

7. Toniola macrumors member

I've used Digital Performer since it came on floppy discs. Does everything, and more, that I ever wanted.
    I always thought it was a good idea to stick with the hardware by the same creator of the software. If you have issues, then you can't get put off by tech saying it's not their product.

8. Timichango macrumors regular

Timichango

Logic FTW! :p

I was a longtime Cubase user (since v2, way before they even thought of using it or audio recording - it was strictly midi), but spent years contemplating a shift to Logic back when it was still an emagic product.

After apple bought it from emagic, overhauled it, and cut the price in half from $1000, it truly became a no-brainer. Logic is absolutely killer.