Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebjenner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
what would you recommend i do? im new to all this.

i have a 12 track digitl recorder which works very nicely (though i need to spend more time on it) the product can be heard at http://www.myspace.com/collidesinarc ... however im buying an ibook with 1gb ram and 80gb harddrive soon. I justw anted to know if i could go without my 12track, and thus sell it.

I usually jut record on einstrument at a time as im a solo artist, so i would only need to put 2 tracks into the ibook. do i need to purchase anything to do this?

also whats the line in like? is there one? do i need to go through firewire etc.

i really need help with anything, so if anyone has some experince that would be great.

id liek to spend under £300 to be honest as well...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The iBooks have no Line in, you need something like the iMic. If you want to record from more than once source at the time you need some sort of mixer to join the two (or more) sources before feeding the iMic, if you only want to record one track at the time the iBook (which comes with iLife and thus GarageBand) and the iMic is all you need. You can get it for £29.95 at Apple Store UK, and maybe even cheaper if you browse around. :)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Yep. You also might want to invest in some sm57's. They're good microphones for the price. Garageband will take care of you on the software end - it's a great program.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
You get what you pay for when it comes to audio input.
M-Audio is good. I personally love Echo Audio- expensive but if you hunt around or camp on eBay you can find one of their sound cards (firewire in your case) for a lot less. (Me Echo Mona has been working hard and well with almost 0 floor noise for 5 years[/URL] My musician friends love M-Audio. I have worked as an audio monkey for almost a decade now, and regardless of what kinds of hardware people recommend, investing good non-platform specific hardware is always worth it. It is likely what ever FW box you get, you will be able to transport it to your next computer. I have had problems with multi-track USB devices, so I stay away from them, but that's me.

Now here is the warning. Audio work can be very processor intensive. If you are doing a lot of effects, looping, and routing, you may want to think about how you can do it in steps if your getting artifacts on your final product.

The iMic is an ok product and well worth the cost, but if you want to record multi track, I really suggest getting a good FW400 or USB2 a2d box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.