music recording software

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by shona, Feb 10, 2009.

1. shona macrumors newbie

I am setting up a small home studio and wondered what sort of software you would recommend that is good for the whole recording process, from recording instruments through to making a cd. I don't want to take out a loan if I can help it.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Mattaut macrumors regular

Garageband is a good place to start if you are unfamiliar with DAWs. Once you have mastered GB, look into Logic and Pro Tools and figure out if you should upgrade and which one to use(or use both :)). Logic would definitely be easier to get used to after using GB, you can import GB projects into Logic and all the instruments, FX, and loops are there, GB is like its baby brother.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Use Garage Band. You already have it. Then if you decide you need "more" it is easy to move to Apple's "Logic".

My advice is to "start small" Just one mic. Make simple recording then add equipment one piece at a time, learn to use it. Basically solve one problem at a time. Recording an entire band live is NOT something you are going to be able to do at the beginning.

Logic will open GB projects to the move is easy and you don't loose much. The concepts are roughtly the same so it makes sense to start with GB.