MUSIC RIGHTS QUESTION - urgent...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Nov 12, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I've entered a video in a student film festival and now they need the music rights cleared (which they never have in the past). Anyway, how would I go about clearing the rights with the artist (Vanessa Carlton)?

It is a student project and it'd be really nice if they'd just write it off with some nice written consent...

but how would I even get in contact with them?

I need this in the next few days... please let me know :confused:

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You can try contacting them directly via email... however, avoid going through the label as they're main goal is to make money... whereas the artist's main goal is to get their work out there.

I haven't heard of that artist, so you might be in luck. I've been successful before in contacting indy artists and getting rights, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work out quite the same way if you were to contact, say... Jay-Z.

Good luck.

EDIT: I was just told who Vanessa Carlton was. I highly doubt you'll ever get a release for the song. Sorry to say, but that's one of the major considerations necessary before scoring.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it's not a score... it's a music video...

and last year the festival said, because it was the high school category, not to worry about the rights - so i just didn't. and now this year they're jumping on us.

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it's not a score... it's a music video...

and last year the festival said, because it was the high school category, not to worry about the rights - so i just didn't. and now this year they're jumping on us.

5. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I realize this must be quite an unpleasant surprise for you, but I believe the festival is doing the right thing in asking everybody to stick to the rules. Because in your case specifically, the rules are defined very clearly, and endorsing deviations/violations might get the festival into trouble. What you create just to share it with friends is one thing; for a large audience, though, like a festival, where you are hoping to get broader recognition for your work, well that's a different story...

- Martin

6. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

and i completely agree with no, believe me, i do.

it's just that it's an irritating change from last year. however, i'm glad to step into the range of official rights. it's a lot to learn and i'm always glad to learn.

any suggestions for finding the publisher? i'm having trouble finding any contact information.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

How hard did you try?

http://www.ascap.com/ has a search.

Does this festival not have a team of lawyers that clear stuff like this? You are going to have a hard time trying to clear rights for a big label artist. You should have went with a local independent artist or band instead. Usage rights take time, no matter how innocent or small the use.

This took all of two minutes, "Big Yellow Taxi" by Vanessa Carlton:

SIQUOMB PUBLISHING CORP
    % SONY/ATV TUNES LLC
    ATTN: LACEY CHEMSAK
    8 MUSIC SQUARE WEST
    NASHVILLE , TN, 37203
    Tel. (615) 726-8300

If that's not the song you used there are others from her listed.

8. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know... i found those other songs... it's just this song... of course the one i need is the one that's hard to find.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's hard to help you if we don't know the song. What's the song?

10. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol - i didn't realize i didn't say.

A Thousand Miles

of course, one of her biggest hits. I'm just trying to make things difficult...

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

THOUSAND MILES (Legal Title)
    BMI Work #5677702
    Alternate Titles:
    1000 MILES
    INTERLUDE
    Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
    CARLTON VANESSA BMI 355355455

Publishers
    ROSASHARN MUSIC BMI 421363100
    SONGS OF UNIVERSAL INC BMI 353271280

SONGS OF UNIVERSAL INC
    CAE/IPI #: 353271280
    Phone: (310) 235-4700
    Fax: (310) 235-4900
    ATTN: COPYRIGHT MANAGER
    2440 SEPULVEDA BLVD SUITE 100
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90064-1712
    http://www.umusic.com

From BMI.com

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

And in case you don't know what BMI is:

Broadcast Music, Incorporated (BMI) is a performing right organization. It collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers, and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Music_Incorporated

13. mags631 Guest

I realized that this resolved itself in another way, but I wanted to address this point. Most of the artists do not own the rights to their songs, so clearing it with the performer doesn't mean anything in those cases. You have to find the copyright owner, who is probably not the performer....

Sadly, fair use doesn't mean anything these days unless you have deep pockets or access to a free lawyer.