Music Server/Time Machine Backup for Dorm?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G5Unit, May 25, 2010.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'll be heading off to college this fall and I'm trying to figure out how I am going to manage my back ups and music.

I recently replaced my PowerMac G5 with a MacBook Pro, and so far I have not set up any sort of backup at all. I'd like to start fresh:)

So what I'm really trying to figure out is how to set up a system where I would have an external HD set up in RAID 1, to which the MacBook Pro would wirelessly backup via Time Machine.

I'd also like to be able to somehow wirelessly send the audio from the MacBook Pro to a set of speakers. An expandable would be nice as well, if I ever needed more space.

What is the most efficient way to set this up? Thanks!

2. djdavidgallant macrumors member

djdavidgallant

Firefly works as a great itunes server. This will allow you to share a library over iTunes from another box, with a program dedicated to only sharing software. I use this in my office on my iMac to share music with other people around the office.
    http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I guess I'm sort of looking for a computer-less way, so that the music/time machine back up would be stored on the external HD, and the external HD would be able to be accessed wirelessly.

4. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

5. bt22 macrumors 6502

you could connect an external hard drive via usb to an Airport Extreme. Then get a Aiport Express and connect powered speakers to it and send music to it via itunes from your Macbook Pro...