Music skipping on brand new 13" MacBook Pro. Help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the1payday, Sep 9, 2009.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I just received my brand new 13" 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro. Upon getting it, I put my old 500GB WD Blue hard drive in the computer so that I would have all my old files and such ready to go. I'm having a major problem now though. In iTunes, while listening to music, ALL tracks will sort of "freeze" for about 1-3 seconds when the song is about halfway to 3/4 of the way through playing. I REALLY hope this is not a hardware related problem. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do? I really need help...

2. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

3. SaintDiablo macrumors member

Ahh, I've been here before. Whenever you start it up give it a minute or two to calibrate so it can recognize that it's in a new machine and so it can get all the drivers, and etc. I hope this works, it worked for me in my new MacBook Pro from my old MacBook.

4. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

It's been working fine for about 2 days now though. Just started today when I installed iTunes 9 it seems. I don't know what to do. When I play songs manually in the finder they don't freeze at all so I'm wondering if it's not an iTunes 9 problem.

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

There is your problem.

6. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Why do you say that? If so, any recommendations of a good 500GB HDD to use instead?

7. jpma macrumors 6502

I remember there's a time I had a bad installed leopard that cause the hd to tick whenever accessing data.

After that I did a write zero format and reinstall leopard.
    solved the hd problem.

perhaps you can try that too just to make sure your hd is clean

8. valvehead macrumors regular

I think Gen's point is that you put your old hard drive untouched in the new machine. The hardware is completely different than your Macbook and requires different drivers that will probably only be installed with a fresh install of OS X. Whether or not it is the cause of the specific problem in this thread, it is likely that it may cause other problems in the future. You're lucky it's working at all; try that swap with a Windows computer and it'll think you're trying to start WWIII! :p

There's another thing going on here. You said in post #4 that the problem started when you installed iTunes 9 (you should have stated this in the first post). This is most likely to be the cause of this particular problem. Are you saying that iTunes 8 was working fine on the new computer? Do you have a Time Machine backup that you can use to restore to the previous iTunes version?

Also, are you using 10.5 or 10.6? Which OS was already on the drive when you put it in the new computer? If you upgraded to 10.6 after installing the drive in the new computer, how did you perform the upgrade?

9. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

I guess I should have clarified a little bit better. I backed up all of my iTunes from my old White MacBook with the 500GB WD hard drive to an external hard drive. I then installed the 500GB WD HDD into my new MBP, and fully wiped it out with the Snow Leopard disc. After restoring, I moved the music back from my external HDD to my MBP. I think I've found my issue though. After reading the long thread about the EFI 1.7 upgrade problems with the 2009 MBP's, I think that's the problem, with the third party HDD's and all. I've also been experiencing the frequent, intermittent, beach balls on my new machine, although they only stay for about 7 seconds and then go away.

Thanks for the help, I just needed to do a little more searching through the forums. I've reset my PRAM and although I know other users did the same and still had the problem, SO FAR my problem has been fixed. We'll see.

10. valvehead macrumors regular

Ah. Sorry, I was under the impression that you simply plopped it in the new machine. My apologies.

Best of luck to you.