Music speakers for iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by conamor, Dec 26, 2013.

1. conamor macrumors 6502

conamor

Hi,

I was wondering what would you suggest for iMac speakers.

I currently have Z2300 on the PC and M-Audio Studio Monitor AV-40.
    The Z2300 plays well and loud with the sub. The M-Audio are way different and can't be loud and doesn't procedure good bass.

Would Audioengine a5+, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III be better?
    Would you have any recommendation for good music speakers?

Thanks

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

This is kind of an open ended question. You say you have some 4" speakers (the AV40) and need something better.

What's the budget? How large is the area? Are this use only for some one setting directly in front of them or will be be used for larger room? What is the physically largest size you can fit in the space?

3. conamor thread starter macrumors 6502

conamor

They must be on the desk. Room is 80sq feet.

I find the AV40 not so good for listening to music. This is the main reason I wanted to change them.

4. Bear macrumors G3

My first choice would be the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

5. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

I'd go with the Audioengine A5+ and their D1 DAC unit. The two should serve you rather well.

6. GloriaBrown macrumors newbie

GloriaBrown

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

The good thing is that good speakers for music will be good speakers for gaming and movies, because the qualities that give you great music reproduction will do the same for anything you do on your Mac.

I've been a huge fan of the Audioengine brand, and the A5+ in particular, just because for desktop listening, it's about as full range as you'll want or need.

As far as a DAC goes, I've seen some good ones recommended in this thread, but I'd like to throw out one of two Audioquest DACs:

Audioquest is coming out with a 2014 version of their acclaimed Dragonfly DAC, and that's driven the price of the 2013 version way down:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dragonf...uId=5426026&st=Audioquest Dragonfly&cp=1&lp=1
    If you're the "latest and greatest" type, you can opt for the 2014 one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dragonf...uId=3186189&st=Audioquest Dragonfly&cp=1&lp=2
    The original Dragonfly got much recognition by pros and users alike for being a tremendous upgrade over any computer's onboard sound processing, and at its current price, it's a no-brainer!

8. conamor thread starter macrumors 6502

conamor

What these audio to usb used for?

On my iMac, I have like I said the AV-40 + a Focusrite 2i2 where my speakers plug in big jacks and I have 2 microphone inputs for music / voice recording.

Do I need that usb for something?

9. Irishman macrumors 68030

Not if everything works.

10. conamor thread starter macrumors 6502

conamor

Understood. Those Audioengine A5+, I suppose they use big jacks and not 3.5mm plug, correct?

11. Irishman macrumors 68030

My recollection from when I first saw them was mini plugs (3.5mm), but I could be wrong.They certainly don't use XLR plugs or anything like that (I assume that's what you meant by "big jacks")?

12. conamor thread starter macrumors 6502

conamor