Music Storage Location

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jshwon, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

For owners with external HD's do you keep your iTunes music on the external? I have a mini C2D 2.0 and will be using an external HD to house my DVD collection with aliases in my ~/Movies folder so they can be accessed via Front Row.

Are you able to do the same with the iTunes library or does it have to stay local?

If you can do this what is the best way to go about it? Movies are easier because I dont have nearly as many movies as I do music.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It's easy in iTunes. Go to the preferences and change the location of the music folder to your external hard drive. You don't need aliases or anything. For a long time, I had my music folder on a separate hard drive.

3. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Nice. As with most things Mac another simple solution.

Thanks!

4. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Will that automatically "move" all the existing files from the current location to the new location?

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't think so. There's a 'right' way to do it and a wrong way. When I did it, I did it the wrong way, so it took me an hour to fix. So be sure to do it right. Do a search here, I think it's been mentioned how. But I think you have to manually move the files and the library file, then switch the location. Something like that.

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

7. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Glad I asked....I will learn from your mistakes Dimwhit ;)