Music storage/sharing/listening/etc. setup?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by haze, Aug 17, 2008.

1. haze macrumors regular

I am trying to figure out the best solution for my burgeoning flac music collection. Currently I have a MBP, PowerBook, and PowerMac G4 700. The PowerMac has a PATA card and two 200GB HDD and I have a Lacie FW 500GB. Plus, I have a new Apple Airport Extreme base station.

One issue is maintaining both a flac (lossless) collection for home listening and aac for the ipods. Mainly though I am trying to figure out the best music server setup. Since I have the MBP I am thinking of the selling the Powerbook G4 1.5 and getting a mini if they ever get updated. Also, the I have a small 1br/studio apartment and the PowerMac is pretty loud and I have the occasional use for Windows, so I was thinking the Mini and a couple 1TB FireWire drives. One for storage, one to back up.

I'd also like to start having the option for music in the living room and accessed from multiple computers. I also need to improve my listening setup. I have some decent Sennhaiser headphones, but my speaker setup is some old $50 speaker system from Fry's many years ago.

So, how do people store/share/listen/etc.? What is a good setup?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd use the Apple Lossless format in iTunes, and RAID array some drives together.

What sound system do you use at present?

3. haze thread starter macrumors regular

Currently I don't have much of a sound system. At the computer I have two speakers and the sub from an eight year old 5.1 system I got for $50 from Fry's. It sucks. In the living room I have an old JVC home theater receiver and 5.1 Cambridge Soundworks satellite speaker setup.

My music collection is scattered across three drives with music playing from my PowerMac G4 through the speakers I mentioned. That is why I am looking to revamp an streamline my whole setup.