Music streaming app that doesn't phone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by UnionVGF, Dec 27, 2016.

1. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

All the music streaming apps require a phone connection it seems. Is there one that doesn't? I have music on my Apple Watch, but sometimes I want to stream more than I have on the Apple Watch when at the gym.

2. Immiddx macrumors member

How would that work without a connection to the internet?

3. UnionVGF thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

Apple Watch has no problems connecting to the internet.

4. Immiddx macrumors member

It doesn't? How do you connect your watch to the internet and access data that way? Can you give an example where this works for some app on the watch which functions with the internet without interfacing with the iPhone?

5. UnionVGF thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

The Apple Watch can access the internet on a known network. There's no reason, unless Apple is restricting, for an app to work stand alone in the Apple Watch.

6. Immiddx macrumors member

I'm not sure that answered my question. You want to know if we know of any apps that can stream music to your watch without connecting to your phone. But it seems that I'm correct in saying that there are no apps which allow you to directly connect your watch to the internet for the purposes of receiving data for literally any purpose. The watch WILL connect to wifi in order to find your iPhone on the same network and will communicate with your iPhone via that wifi connection but that isn't the same as the watch connecting to the internet as a stand-alone device. And the fact that it could do that in theory doesn't mean it currently does that.

So I'll repeat my original question again. You want to stream music directly to your watch without your iPhone?

How would that work without a connection to the internet?

7. UnionVGF thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

There are no apps. That's been established. Now, we need to know why there aren't any. The Apple Watch can connect to the internet. Is it an Apple restriction preventing Apple Watch apps from directly accessing an internet connection or is it a hardware limitation? From what I've read, it's not a hardware limitation. Apple themselves have made it a policy that all Apple Watch apps need to be Apple Watch native apps. Needing to connect to the phone to access an internet connection is counterproductive to having native Apple Watch apps.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The :apple:Watch battery is FAR too small to stream any large amount of data (like needed for music) over the internet. Continuously streaming music over the internet would lower the battery life sufficiently.

9. UnionVGF thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

Any facts to back up your claim? I'm not believing there be a significant, if any, difference in battery life compared to streaming music from you iPhone which is a built in feature.

10. Julien, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you stream music from your iPhone you are using the iPhone's battery which is about 10x larger. You can't even do a simple update without plugging your :apple:Watch into a power supply AND having the charge level above 50%.

11. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

OP keeps on saying the watch connects to internet directly, unless a device have a SIM card or some sort of chip with a carrier deal, how do you think that work?!

12. UnionVGF thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

You don't need a SIM card to connect to the internet.....

13. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

I think you're getting confused about connecting to a wifi access point and internet.

14. UnionVGF thread starter macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

I talked about connecting to the internet. Never mentioned connecting to a cellular network. Even mentioned "known network." No confusion on my end.

15. opmisk, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

opmisk macrumors member

Been wondering this myself. Apple does allow some exceptions. Messages, Weather, and Maps, all can pull data from a known wifi network without a companion iPhone. In those instances, the AW is functioning as an independent connected wifi device accessing data from the internet. There seems to be no technical limitation to the ability to allow streaming music apps.

Battery life may be part of it but not because streaming directly is significantly different than streaming through an iPhone. It may be more about the significant change in user behavior. In other words, if Apple allowed it, people would use it much more than they're using the AW now as a listening device. Just a hunch, because from a hardware and software perspective, there's nothing preventing it.