Music streaming

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by britabroad, Mar 18, 2009.

1. britabroad macrumors member

britabroad

I want to buy an Airport Express just to stream audio to a stereo system in another room from my Macbook Pro. Does it matter whether or not I get a 'g' or an 'n' model? I already have an Airport Extreme (using 'n') for my wireless. Any advice welcome - thanks.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm able to stream iTunes from my NAS to either of my Macs using G. I don't imagine it will make much difference for music. Movies might be another matter altogether.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you go with the G, you will drop your network to G speeds if it's connected. which for just internet should be fine, the only time you should notice a difference between G and N is when doing file transfers between computers on your network.
    Any G device that connects to a N network (in G compatibility mode) will drop the speed to G, so if you have an iPhone or something you've already dropped to G speeds.

But G is fine for doing airTunes. I use my old G express for just that.

Also if you want to have a device (game console or something) join your wireless network, you can have a N express join your network, and share the connection on the ethernet port, the G will not do this (you can do it on a G in WDS mode, but that cuts down your wireless speeds)