Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popo99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Hi all,

I tried to find a solution over the net, but I found none, so I hope someone can help me.

I have two computers at home, a windows desktop and a mac laptop. As the desktop is older, it has the majority of my music on it, and in fact i don't want to have it in the laptop because of hard disk space.

So when i got my new iPhone, i decided to sync it using the laptop, as it is more practical for me(the desktop is actually used as a media center). In the first moment it was not a problem as i was too happy for having finally the iPhone to think about an iphone can only be synced with one computer.

Now the problem is: I have music in my laptop i want in my iphone. There is also a lot of music i want in my iphone, which is in the desktop. In a moment of clarividence, i decided to use an old external net storage hard disk, to put all the music together and have both itunes librarys using this hard disk.

Everything is working fine, both computers recognize all the music etc. but... my laptop iTunes do not allow me to add any music to the iPhone.

I am thinking that this can be dued to the change of library folder, so the iphone can be confused and thinks it's a diferent pc, although it is not and it syncs correctly the contacts, apps, etc...

The other option I am considering is that using a library over the net do not allow to sync music with the iphone.

Please, anyone has any idea about what the problem, and the solution, is? I am considering to restore the iphone, but with an older ipod touch i always have had problem recovering all the data...

thanks in advance!!

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Hi all,

I tried to find a solution over the net, but I found none, so I hope someone can help me.

I have two computers at home, a windows desktop and a mac laptop. As the desktop is older, it has the majority of my music on it, and in fact i don't want to have it in the laptop because of hard disk space.

So when i got my new iPhone, i decided to sync it using the laptop, as it is more practical for me(the desktop is actually used as a media center). In the first moment it was not a problem as i was too happy for having finally the iPhone to think about an iphone can only be synced with one computer.

Now the problem is: I have music in my laptop i want in my iphone. There is also a lot of music i want in my iphone, which is in the desktop. In a moment of clarividence, i decided to use an old external net storage hard disk, to put all the music together and have both itunes librarys using this hard disk.

Everything is working fine, both computers recognize all the music etc. but... my laptop iTunes do not allow me to add any music to the iPhone.

I am thinking that this can be dued to the change of library folder, so the iphone can be confused and thinks it's a diferent pc, although it is not and it syncs correctly the contacts, apps, etc...

The other option I am considering is that using a library over the net do not allow to sync music with the iphone.

Please, anyone has any idea about what the problem, and the solution, is? I am considering to restore the iphone, but with an older ipod touch i always have had problem recovering all the data...

thanks in advance!!
Dual music libraries is not a good option, especially if one is on a removable drive, because unless you choose to manually manage music, you will need the external plugged in every time you sync, or iTunes will remove the music from the phone. As for the Mac not syncing music, check your settings in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.